Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Leucistic Tiger?

electronfusion

Reaction score
I agree with schmifty here. The whole hands-off approach to genetics seens a little silly when seen within the context of keeping pets (a context which all of us here are obviously ok with). So you can take them out of nature for your own enjoyment, but genetics are sacred? Seems silly. The defining trait of humanity is that we change things to suit us. Landscapes, climate, genetics- you name it, and we'll try changing it. As long as this is practiced responsibly, it seems perfectly ok to me. The value in the original species is that it fills an ecosystem niche. The value to a modified/selectively bred one would be that it's cute as a pet. As long as it's realized that the two have different purposes, and are kept within their respective contexts, it seems fine. Personally, I'm all for hairless 6-tailed ligers, horse-narwall hybrids, and bioluminescent everything...but maybe that's just me.:happy:

bichogrilo

Reaction score
It all starts out making complete sence but sooner or later some bright spark will come up with the amphibian genetic equivalent of miniature horses or pug dogs, Just because we can does not mean we should, look at what we have done to dogs, the poor things. I for one do not want to see the genetic free for all equivalent happenning to any other animals.:happy:

ahritchie

Reaction score
Yes i'd love to see some update pictures

I stumbled across these pics today....looks like this little guy is up for sale! Asking $1500 has got to be the most expensive salamander ever :eek: Pretty cool looking though!

Attachments

• 1234521.jpg
    1234521.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 3,419
  • 1234523.jpg
    1234523.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 2,257

Jake

Reaction score
I hope whoever is keeping them tries to get the animals to breed it would be interesting to see what the offspring would look like. It may not survive in nature, but we here at caudata.org keep our animals in glass boxes and there is nothing natural about that.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
I know of extremely rare plethodontids (Pseudoeurycea) from south america being sold for the first time for 500€ each (~ 600usd) and I thought it was outrageous... 1500 usd for a tiger salamander is kind of :eek:.. I mean...what?!! Nonsense...

Jake

Reaction score
But the funny thing is they where really sold. Creazy people :eek: .

I know a guy in Wisconsin who bought true albino tiger salamanders (pink/pale bodies with red eyes) for $125 each. These light tigers are not albino or leucistic. If they were leucistic they would look similar to the animal pictured at the top right of this page: Axolotls - Metamorphosed & Tiger Salamanders

pseudobranchus

Reaction score
The salamander above came from the same pond as the other yellow tiger i had caught which is pictured on my profile. Instead of having white and black coloration this salamander is whitish yellow with pinkish purple banding. The only black coloration is on one or two of its finger tips and if you look at the "leucistic" tiger pictured in a similar thread you will see black tipping on it as well. I sold this sally to a breeder here in the us. If i am lucky enough to find a color variant again this coming spring, i will send him what i find to help ensure his success. I will post more pictures soon.

Nathan

yoda121

Reaction score
Im not convinced those are tigers.hard to see.looks like the head comes to too much of a point and the legs seem too thin relative to the body

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes i was mistaking. I have seen two Pseudoeurysea bellii animals for 1800 Euro. But the funny thing is they where really sold. Creazy people :eek: .
You do realize that Mexico doesn't export its wildlife for commercial sale? Therefore those Pseudoeurycea were yet another example of people in Europe getting on a plane, collecting the animals and smuggling them back to Europe, probably in their luggage?

Im not convinced those are tigers.hard to see.looks like the head comes to too much of a point and the legs seem too thin relative to the body
The original larva photos look like Ambystoma tigrinum, or possibly Ambystoma tapoideum or a close relative. However, the second batch of photos are 100% tiger salamander. Are they from the same person though? I don't think they were posted by the same person on this thread.

emily74

Reaction score
Very nice looking little tiger!! Would love to see him all grown up wow, beautiful. Are the tigers in your area olive with the spots or barred? Ours up here are the olives.

Silver

Reaction score
imagine a tiger with an extended tail or one with a hardier, thicker skin to help it fight off fungus and disease, a super tiger if you will.

And then if any of them get let go by a silly owner who doesn't feel like being responsible for them anymore, they'll out-compete the wild species and the original will disappear :\

(btw, that's a beautiful tiger larva :D Can't wait to see it as an adult <3)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!