Light exposure with axolotls

Chicagoat

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all!
I'm launching myself in this world to adopt 2 little axolotl and I'm gathering as much information that I can before starting anything.
Right now I have a Fluval Flex 32.5g with a Seachem 55 filter. (I removed the Fluval built-in filter for more space and filter freedom) I'm planning to make a DIY mesh top and hang the stock Fluval flex programmable/bluetooth light on top of it. I'm gonna try to cool the water as much as I can with fans but I'm considering a chiller if I can't reach a stable cool temperature.

My main concern is the light exposure. I have a wierd schedule that I work 3x 12 hours nightshift and I have a 4 days weekend that I try to wake up early to enjoy my sunny day off.
How much are they affected by surrounding and ambient light? If I wake up or come back late from work and I open the room light does it freak out their "sleep/rest" pattern or a few minutes isn't a big deal? How many hours can they be expose to room/ambient light?
My first idea was to cover the tank with a "blanket" (like some people do with a bird's cage) and I can program a normal schedule with a dim light for when I know I'm going to be home late. But it might trap heat inside the tank or dust/particles might fall in the tank because of the mesh top.

I don't know if I'm worrying too much because I only shower then I go to bed right after I get home but I don't want to leave any stones unturned before these little guys are in the tank.

*just realized I'm in the wrong topic, my bad :( *

Last edited:

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all!
I'm launching myself in this world to adopt 2 little axolotl and I'm gathering as much information that I can before starting anything.
Right now I have a Fluval Flex 32.5g with a Seachem 55 filter. (I removed the Fluval built-in filter for more space and filter freedom) I'm planning to make a DIY mesh top and hang the stock Fluval flex programmable/bluetooth light on top of it. I'm gonna try to cool the water as much as I can with fans but I'm considering a chiller if I can't reach a stable cool temperature.

My main concern is the light exposure. I have a wierd schedule that I work 3x 12 hours nightshift and I have a 4 days weekend that I try to wake up early to enjoy my sunny day off.
How much are they affected by surrounding and ambient light? If I wake up or come back late from work and I open the room light does it freak out their "sleep/rest" pattern or a few minutes isn't a big deal? How many hours can they be expose to room/ambient light?
My first idea was to cover the tank with a "blanket" (like some people do with a bird's cage) and I can program a normal schedule with a dim light for when I know I'm going to be home late. But it might trap heat inside the tank or dust/particles might fall in the tank because of the mesh top.

I don't know if I'm worrying too much because I only shower then I go to bed right after I get home but I don't want to leave any stones unturned before these little guys are in the tank.

*just realized I'm in the wrong topic, my bad :( *
personally, ive found it something that differs with animal to animal. mine doesn't mind the light at all, i turn it on and he doesn’t care whatsoever. some are very sensitive though

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine is very sensitive to light and I had a similar scheduling problem. I basically did the blanket thing, with some slight improvements (since I had similar worries). My aquarium is sitting on a desk which has a book shelf thing above it. I attach the blanket to that, keeping it far away from anything that is water or that moves air/water; it's just there as a sheild.

Pigalit

Reaction score
Country
United States
It varies from axolotl to axolotl. Personally, mine doesn't get affected by any kind of light (sunlight, blue light, or normal tank light). I've seen other owners use insulators on the back and sides of their tank to allow less light and heat passage on their tank.

KrabzAga

Reaction score
Country
United States
Remember to make sure your tank is properly cycled, one of my first mistakes when getting an aquatic salamander.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Adam the axie:
    so much diversity in amphibians
    +1
    Unlike
  • Adam the axie:
    there arent that many where i live though
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    saddd
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Maeve has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nemo:
    How long will it take for waterdog to morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • ArpTheAxolotl:
    Hello guys! I posted a new thread and I need help determining two axolotls gwbder
    +1
    Unlike
  • ArpTheAxolotl:
    gender*
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kennakat123:
    Help!! My nitrates won’t go up! They are at 0ppm and so is my ammonia and nitrites. Can I put my axolotl in the tank without the nitrates or does the axolotl need them? If not how do I get my nitrates up?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kennakat123:
    Help!! I am cycling my tank for an axolotl, but nothing is moving up or down. These are my levels
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kennakat123:
    Ammonia 0ppm
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kennakat123:
    Nitrite 0ppm. Nitrate 0ppm Do axolotls need nitrates?
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    Are you cycling?
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    0ppm nitrates would indicate your tank isn't cycled and therefore it isn't safe to add in the axolotl.
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    You should be dosing the tank with ammonia to cycle it, which would then be converted into nitrite and then nitrate.
    +1
    Unlike
  • blackxreptiles:
    there a salamander farm in the US?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Adam the axie:
    i dont think so
    +1
    Unlike
  • Adam the axie:
    there are breeders though
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    soon to include myself!! hoping for eggs this summer :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    nvm my male has fungus and i’m paranoid he’s gonna die so maybe no eggs ;(
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chak:
    @axolotl nerd do you know how to treat fungus correctly? You don't wanna wait. No pressure, but my cousin's axolotl had a tiny bit of fungus on the tail and a day later it took over the whole body and it died.
    +1
    Unlike
  • blackxreptiles:
    does any one know where i can find simple cage setup for fire salamanders on here. I know some like to give it a realistic setup but I always believe in simple setup and care in the right as long as animal is happy.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Adam the axie:
    you can probably make your own out of a big enough plastic bin
    +1
    Unlike
  • blackxreptiles:
    well i have a 20 gallon tank. but do most use paper towels and a plastic hiding spot and replace paper towels weekly?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    @Chak, yeah he’s being treated rn. he has a tiny bit on his gills and i caught it early
    +1
    Unlike
    axolotl nerd: @Chak, yeah he’s being treated rn. he has a tiny bit on his gills and i caught it early +1