Light exposure with axolotls

Chicagoat

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all!
I'm launching myself in this world to adopt 2 little axolotl and I'm gathering as much information that I can before starting anything.
Right now I have a Fluval Flex 32.5g with a Seachem 55 filter. (I removed the Fluval built-in filter for more space and filter freedom) I'm planning to make a DIY mesh top and hang the stock Fluval flex programmable/bluetooth light on top of it. I'm gonna try to cool the water as much as I can with fans but I'm considering a chiller if I can't reach a stable cool temperature.

My main concern is the light exposure. I have a wierd schedule that I work 3x 12 hours nightshift and I have a 4 days weekend that I try to wake up early to enjoy my sunny day off.
How much are they affected by surrounding and ambient light? If I wake up or come back late from work and I open the room light does it freak out their "sleep/rest" pattern or a few minutes isn't a big deal? How many hours can they be expose to room/ambient light?
My first idea was to cover the tank with a "blanket" (like some people do with a bird's cage) and I can program a normal schedule with a dim light for when I know I'm going to be home late. But it might trap heat inside the tank or dust/particles might fall in the tank because of the mesh top.

I don't know if I'm worrying too much because I only shower then I go to bed right after I get home but I don't want to leave any stones unturned before these little guys are in the tank.

*just realized I'm in the wrong topic, my bad :( *

Last edited:
Hi all!
I'm launching myself in this world to adopt 2 little axolotl and I'm gathering as much information that I can before starting anything.
Right now I have a Fluval Flex 32.5g with a Seachem 55 filter. (I removed the Fluval built-in filter for more space and filter freedom) I'm planning to make a DIY mesh top and hang the stock Fluval flex programmable/bluetooth light on top of it. I'm gonna try to cool the water as much as I can with fans but I'm considering a chiller if I can't reach a stable cool temperature.

My main concern is the light exposure. I have a wierd schedule that I work 3x 12 hours nightshift and I have a 4 days weekend that I try to wake up early to enjoy my sunny day off.
How much are they affected by surrounding and ambient light? If I wake up or come back late from work and I open the room light does it freak out their "sleep/rest" pattern or a few minutes isn't a big deal? How many hours can they be expose to room/ambient light?
My first idea was to cover the tank with a "blanket" (like some people do with a bird's cage) and I can program a normal schedule with a dim light for when I know I'm going to be home late. But it might trap heat inside the tank or dust/particles might fall in the tank because of the mesh top.

I don't know if I'm worrying too much because I only shower then I go to bed right after I get home but I don't want to leave any stones unturned before these little guys are in the tank.

*just realized I'm in the wrong topic, my bad :( *
personally, ive found it something that differs with animal to animal. mine doesn't mind the light at all, i turn it on and he doesn’t care whatsoever. some are very sensitive though

Mine is very sensitive to light and I had a similar scheduling problem. I basically did the blanket thing, with some slight improvements (since I had similar worries). My aquarium is sitting on a desk which has a book shelf thing above it. I attach the blanket to that, keeping it far away from anything that is water or that moves air/water; it's just there as a sheild.

It varies from axolotl to axolotl. Personally, mine doesn't get affected by any kind of light (sunlight, blue light, or normal tank light). I've seen other owners use insulators on the back and sides of their tank to allow less light and heat passage on their tank.

Remember to make sure your tank is properly cycled, one of my first mistakes when getting an aquatic salamander.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back