Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Live/Bioactive substrate?

Raella

Reaction score
Is this something I could do for my Tiger Salamander? I currently use something I need to add water to that I buy at Petco that seems to work well, but I like the idea of his/her waste being absorbed by the system rather than just accumulating over time.

Is there anything I should read up on before trying this? Not sure what I’m doing really as I’m new to terrariums.

Raella

Reaction score
That’s basically what I’m talking about. What animals would that be?

Nativenewt

Reaction score
You could have a substrate with leaves and aquatic isopods which the salamander will eat and they will act as a cleaner crew.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If you mean bioactive substrate for a terrestrial substrate just add isopods and maybe some springtails.

Holdenon5

Reaction score
Springtails and isopods are good for eating decaying matter and controlling mold growth in the terrarium. I personally use springtails in with my giant centipedes and never have mold issues

sheweldz

Reaction score
Can I put isopods I find in the yard in my tiger salamander tank or is it best to buy them.

JM29

Reaction score
Hello,

From my experience and some of my friends' :

- for terrestrial big-sized caudates (tiger salamander for example) : you may regularly add some dead leaves (preferably oak) above the substrate. The targeted effect is maintainig a high Carbon/Nitrogen ratio. Isopods and springtails can help to get rid of waste but they need a Carbon source, just like bacteria.

- for terrestrial small-sized caudates (small Plethodon species for example) : the substrate must provide some of the food for the caudates. One good solution is a mix 3/4 oak / 1/4 maple, in which springtails and isopods thrive well. One may take a stock of maple leaves in autumn because maple leaves disappear very fast in nature.

In these two cases, the first little animals (worms, springtails, isopods...) can be added with a rich substrate (garden compost for example) in the bottom of the tank.

- for aquatic caudates : adding some dead oak leaves in the water help managing nitrate levels (adding a Carbon source once again).

Of course, avoid surpopulating the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!