Losing Larvae

At home I have well water and I let it degas and temper for 48 hours before use (so I always try to have 10 gallons or more on hand). At work I do use tap water and I let it sit for 48 hours (and we do have chloramine) and add a little dechlorinator.

Ed

Hi there, I have a slightly different issue - my terrestris has had one larvae and over a week has passed and no-more have appeared! I wasnt too keen on breeding salamanders but this female that I bought turned out to be pregnant and now I am completely thrilled! I've opted for the cleaning regular route which is going OK so far but I wouldnt mind knowing where its brothers and sisters are!

This could be the only offspring. The number of offspring can be affected by a number of external factors including but not limited to nutritional state during ovulation and "pregnancy".

Ed

Hi,
could also be an other reason!
In one case I got one larva at the end of December, the next came in the middle or end of february - same female.
Paul

About three weeks ago one of the females starting dropping larvae again. I have lost count but the total is around 30. I put them into a 10 gal tank(that I put together after the last episode) that has a shallow gravel substrate, java moss, and a sponge filter. I seeded it months ago with some vegetation from a local pond. I have been feeding them bloodworms, brine shrimp, daphnia (all frozen) as well as ground flake food. I lost two individuals in the beginning however all the others are eating well and seem to be growing. Approximately how long can I expect until metamorphosis begins to occur?
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back