lost gills

Will Glover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
_44322881_axolotl_frills203.jpg
_44322884_axolotl_203.jpg

I got 'Dilly' in Aug 2007 looking like an Axolotl. (Left Hand Pic)
Today it looks like the picture on the right.
I thought it had been fighting with it's larger friend, as they were both in the same tank,
and had it's gills bitten off. It seems I was wrong and it has started 'morphing'.
I've put it in it's own tank and lowered the water level and added a log island.
So it can get itself out of the water.
I'm very new to this so I'd welcome any comments

invertkurt

Reaction score
Country
United States
If it is in fact morphing it will be a fully terrestrial adult salamander. Scientists will argue about classification I'm sure, but consider it a Mexican tiger salamander. They should be kept in clean moist soil with some cover, a water dish, and prefer worms and soft bodied foods.

Also, check your water parameters. Axolotls do not normally morph unless there is a reason to, i. e. bad conditions, as they are essentially a fully-aquatic species.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaysie
Axolotls have been known to morph naturally, and it is not always the result of poor water conditions (although this is usually the case).

Jake

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jacob Bidinger
Will-do you have any more pictures of 'Dilly'? I saw the story about him that BBC did.

rick

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
morphed axi

_44322881_axolotl_frills203.jpg
_44322884_axolotl_203.jpg

I got 'Dilly' in Aug 2007 looking like an Axolotl. (Left Hand Pic)
Today it looks like the picture on the right.
I thought it had been fighting with it's larger friend, as they were both in the same tank,
and had it's gills bitten off. It seems I was wrong and it has started 'morphing'.
I've put it in it's own tank and lowered the water level and added a log island.
So it can get itself out of the water.
I'm very new to this so I'd welcome any comments

i have 2 of them and one is fully terrestrial but the other decided to stay aquatic its a lot easier if they stay aquatic so don't try and push it towards land plus you can enjoy it more if its in a tank of water instead of hiding under dirt.

freekygeeky

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
heheh yea i hardly see my lil guy who has changed
i have 2 of them and one is fully terrestrial but the other decided to stay aquatic its a lot easier if they stay aquatic so don't try and push it towards land plus you can enjoy it more if its in a tank of water instead of hiding under dirt.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
Steve Eddy (quoted in the BBC article) contacted me a few days ago and has sent me the photos. Another person emailed me the link to the BBC article today. It's fascinating stuff but I'm proud to say it's nothing new to us here on Caudata.org (though always nice to hear about). Freeky: I'm sorry yours didn't make the news :(.

Will Glover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was worried about the water. I've been changing about 20% once a week.
I've increased this to twice a week. (Waters 'aged' for about 3 days.)
I do have an internal filer which does get quite dirty fairly quickly.
The other axolotl in the same tank seem to be fine.

Will Glover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like them to stay aquatic. I've read it can be down to me not looking after them properly.
I'm determine that the second one stays an axolotl.

Will Glover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will-do you have any more pictures of 'Dilly'? I saw the story about him that BBC did.

I do, but I can't work out how I attached the pictures on the earlier post.
Kids are out (New Year celebrations) at the moment. I'll ask them when the get in.

bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Julia
What is your tank set up like, i.e size and items etc. As you know axolotl can be quite messy and left over food and their waste can spread every where, if not found reasonably quickly it can lead to water quality problems. I find that my adults waste always seems to be tucked away in a corner of his cave, and despite me moving it to different spots its always there!! It seems some axolotl may be more likely to morph than others ( Freekies seems to be one..it all happened in just over a week of her having it)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
Will, I've linked your thread on the Axolotl site. I think it's a pity the BBC didn't probe a bit deeper when they did their research - they make it sound like there are two lakes in Mexico where you can see axolotls :(. If only this were true.

Will Glover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Photo

Just experimenting

Attachments

• head_on.JPG
    head_on.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 3,777

Will Glover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dilly Photos

Here are some more photos of Dilly.

How long does metamorphing usually take? It's been several weeks since we first noticed his shrinking gills, maybe 7 weeks. And he has been in his own tank for about 5 weeks. He doesn't seem in any hurry to complete the morph.

He has finally started eating again.

Attachments

• above.JPG
    above.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 2,687
  • side_view.JPG
    side_view.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 3,262
  • DSCF1336 (2).JPG
    DSCF1336 (2).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,499

Jake

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jacob Bidinger
Glad to hear he's doing good Will. It looks like it's nearing the end of metamorphosis now, it will probably be terrestrial within a couple weeks, in order to come up on land though he'll need to grow some eyelids, and his skin/toes will thicken a bit to adjust to it's new lifestyle. Good luck with him and thanks for sharing!

rick

Reaction score
Country
United States
one of mine only took 4 weeks to morph, but i still have one that finished morphing 3 months ago and decided to stay in the water

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Country
United States
after they morph do they go straight for land??? i've heard that some stay fully aquatic for sometime before they actually go fully terrestrial....but i would think that they would terrestrial right away rite???

rick

Reaction score
Country
United States
mine didn't seem to be in any hurry, just make sure they have some where to go when they decide to come out. If you keep feeding them in the water they may not feel the need to come out , thats what im doing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    Bloodworms are not a great sole diet for small axolotl or bigger ones, though many people do use them exclusively. Your better off using eartworms which are considered a complete diet
    +1
    Unlike
  • opaltheaxolotl:
    okay, thanks
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shay876:
    How long after axolotl start moving in egg do they hatch? Also when should I start the brine shrimp hatchery going?
    +1
    Unlike
  • tammyaxie:
    I just noticed two of the ghost shrimp in my axie tank have horsehair worms. I removed them immediately. Can these worms affect the axolotl and what would be the treatment?
    +1
    Unlike
  • maddyb9903:
    Hello guys! I was wondering about nitrates in an axolotl tank. If there are 0 nitrates, will that harm the axolotl?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    0 nitrates doesn't sound dangerous, but it does sound very unlikely if the tank is fully cycled. Are you positive you're performing the test correctly? If you're using the API one, that is by far the trickiest test to do right. If the reading is correct, I would guess that either your tank is not cycled, you just did like a 100% water change, or that you have plants sucking up the nitrates, but even those shouldn't leave you with 0.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dragonfire:
    0 is fine unless the tank isn't cycled. Most tanks definitely won't run at 0, but I've had fast growing emergent plants drop nutrients so low that other plants like floaters were choked out and began dying so it isn't impossible. Some less sensitive kits may read 0 but they are just not precise enough to give an accurate low level reading too.
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    Hey Yall my Axolotl has this like tail thats like a dent on the top, I was told it was meant stress but idk whats stressing out my Axolotl. The plants recently gotten moved since they were falling apart but like she's been eating/pooping fine and the temp and water tests are good for the Axolotl. So I don't really know whats causing her to be stress. Does anyone know anything?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    Post a picture of the dent (in the "Sick Axolotl" thread) please
    +2
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    How do I do that? Im new to this website
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    nvm I found ot
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    *it
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    did it
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    SalamanderNick has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Skeemloc:
    Hey are any still available?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hey guys! I’m having an issue with my filter and was hoping for some suggestions. I use an aqua clear 20-50 gallon filter for my 20 gallon axolotl tank. It has worked great since I got it back in December! Recently though, I’ve noticed the flow of the water has turned into more of an intense trickle than a constant flow (if that makes any sense?) I thought it may be something was stuck in the filter or maybe the sponge needed to be swished around in tank water, so I did both of these and it still trickles. It’s a very strong trickle, so the tank is still getting good filtration. It is just so loud and I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if there’s a way to fix it?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    Hmm, I don't know much about those filters, and I'm having trouble picturing what you mean, but could it be simply that your filtration media is arranged in a different way? Or maybe you're losing water content to evaporation? Just throwing out ideas. 😁 Again, I don't really know much about that kind of filter
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    Hello all. My male axolotl's cloaca hasn't been looking quite right for 13 days. When I first noticed it, I immediately checked the temperature of his tank and it was around 70-71. Way too warm for him, so I took him out and have had him tubbed in the basement ever since. The temperature of his water is now 64-65. The issue seems to be that one 'half' of his cloaca is flared out and has white fuzzy stuff on it. It almost looks like a bunch of little white spikes of hair. Only one half is this way. Sometimes said half is flared out almost all the way, and other times it's almost completely back inside of him. I had him in tea baths overnight for probably five days, and then a solid 24 hours of mild tea for around three days. I don't remember exactly, my apologies.
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    Since it was looking better (not flared out so I couldn't tell if it was still fuzzy) I put him back in plain, dechlorinated water. He gets daily water changes, always dechlorinated. The tea I used was plain black tea. The brand was Lipton and it came in a large box, purchased from the grocery store. Does anybody know what this could be? I found a couple old threads with a similar issue, but nobody ever replied to them. I can post a thread if you'd like some pictures, but they aren't very good. My camera was having trouble focusing and my axolotl kept moving.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    Hey guys! Just made a post asking for help with an injured eastern newt. I could really use some help. if you would read it, I would really appreciate 🙏😌
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nexbane:
    @Audrey22, A salt bath *might* be a good idea, but I have never heard of them used for anything but axolotls. I would think as simplistic of a setup as possible would be best. Are you a member of the newts & salamanders group on facebook? You might have better luck getting more information quickly there! lots of the same members as here.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    Ok ill on Facebook too. Thanks. I've heard tea or salt and also neosporin. Do axolots breathe and absorb through their skin like sallies? Thats what I'm afraid of. Because I don't want them to absorb salt if that will hurt them. Anyways, I'll look at Facebook too
    +2
    Unlike
  • gulickje:
    I need guidance… my lotls been struggling. How do i tell if theres anything noticably wrong woth Trudeau? I dont see a way to post a pic here. Hes got like a pinkish spine like down back but everything else looks normal i think. Trixie( my MEL) has been pretty good i think. Both in same tank. Eat same food etc.
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    @gulickje, could you make a thread in the sick axolotls section? You can put pictures there and it's easier for multiple people with axolotl knowledge to help you out. For now, we can't do much without seeing it and asking lots of questions. What is the water temperature? What's the tank like? (substrate, water conditions, any sharp decorations?) What are your water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, etc.
    +1
    Unlike
    CrazyForLotls: @gulickje, could you make a thread in the sick axolotls section? You can put pictures there and... +1