lost gills

took mine a matter a a wekk or two..
he is now just on land.
he had water and land - whenin water he wouldnt move or eat - when on land he ate - now just onland:)

we got an axy for my son a couple of days before Christmas and it has already almost lost all of its gills, and its skin and shape has changed dramatically, i will post some pictures of it. I guess its morphing, but it has only really been about a week since we noticed the changes, but it keeps trying to climb out of the water, doesnt seem to like it at all now, stays on top of its "house" (half flower pot) all of the time now. I guess its ready for a land tank now... we are really confused. I thought that it would stay a axy, just worried that it will die now cause its not eating at all. It has not eaten since it started losing its gills and shedding its skin. Its not slippery at all now, kind of a rubbery feel to its skin, and it does have eyelids already, saw it blink today when i was changing the water... Just didnt seem to take that long for it to change.

Attachments

• Gizzard before morph.jpg
    Gizzard before morph.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 953
  • Gizzard 1 week after morph began.jpg
    Gizzard 1 week after morph began.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 958
Last edited:
Hmm I'm not sure if it really was an axie. The patterns on the belly/tail look different than that of an axie.

Hi all.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I think my 2 axolotls are also starting to metamorphor. Please if you guys can confirm. I have had them for over 2 years now and are adults. When I got them they had their feathery gills chewed off by the careless previous owner who kept them with small guppies. They slowly started re-growing the feathers but they were always quite small.

About 2 weeks ago or more they shed for the first time I have ever kept them, and the last few days they have been hanging around the top of the water and generally acting odder than usual. Tonight I found the one sitting on the submersible water pump and looking at the others gills they look to have shrunk.

They both still very interested in food and are still doing normal axolotl things. The only thing that has changed environmentally over the last few weeks is we are in winter, but their temps have been stable for over 2 months now.

Would appreciate your feedback and thoughts on this.

HI all

I took a photo of my axolotls last night with a comparison to last year in February. When I got them the gills had been chewed off by fish that the petshop was keeping in the same tank as the axolotls. I have suspected that they are metamorphing but can anyone please give me some sort of clarification please.

I can email high res images if need be.

buck-rogers-albums-morphing-picture23344-axies.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back