Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Marbled newt terrestrial to aquatic animals phase

Daniel Joseph

Reaction score
Hello everyone ,
I have a marbled newt that is about eight months old. I was wondering if there’s a possibility I can transition the newt from a terrestrial to a mostly aquatic setup. Any input would be great.
Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
How big is the newt? That's more important than age. Decently sized juvenile marmoratus can be forced aquatic, but they generally won't do well without an island. Adults, on the other hand, can be maintained aquatically all year round, though I would still give them somewhere to haul out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Daniel Joseph

Reaction score
How big is the newt? That's more important than age. Decently sized juvenile marmoratus can be forced aquatic, but they generally won't do well without an island. Adults, on the other hand, can be maintained aquatically all year round, though I would still give them somewhere to haul out.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have two islands that they can get up on to in a 40 gallon. I can try to send a picture of the setup I was thinking of putting her in. The newts about 3.75-4 inches long.
Posted via Mobile Device

Daniel Joseph

Reaction score
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Attachments

• C80BD39F-B794-4538-B4A7-3F76EF46DE8C.jpeg
    C80BD39F-B794-4538-B4A7-3F76EF46DE8C.jpeg
    700.2 KB · Views: 664

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah at that size it can definitely be forced aquatic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Daniel Joseph

Reaction score
How do you go about building that set up in your tank mate?

I got most my supplies from Home Depot, or any hardware store. I made the land platform from tile and pvc pipe, as well as cut the screening and made the top section out of glass using brackets and silicone. I can go more in depth if you’d like to Pm me.

otolith

Reaction score
I've kept and bred this species for almost 10 years and have always kept animals terrestrial until maturity (1-2 years). What are the benefits of forcing them aquatic?

Daniel Joseph

Reaction score
I've kept and bred this species for almost 10 years and have always kept animals terrestrial until maturity (1-2 years). What are the benefits of forcing them aquatic?

I am unsure of the benefits, or if their are any. It would only make things easier for me really. But I currently have her in a 50/50 setup just in case she chooses to go in the water. She mostly stays on land but will go in the water occasionally. If terrestrial is more beneficial for her, then I can definitely change my approach and do what will work better for the newt.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the wild Triturus become aquatic only during the breeding season. The rest of the year they are terrestrial, hidden away under logs or rocks. I'm not aware of evidence that suggests forcing a newt to be aquatic is harmful but given the choice the newt would continue it's natural terrestrial and aquatic phases. Personally I keep mine terrestrial unless I want to breed them. From a pet keeper's perspective terrestrial newts are often less interesting because they are usually inactive and hidden.

Daniel Joseph

Reaction score
In the wild Triturus become aquatic only during the breeding season. The rest of the year they are terrestrial, hidden away under logs or rocks. I'm not aware of evidence that suggests forcing a newt to be aquatic is harmful but given the choice the newt would continue it's natural terrestrial and aquatic phases. Personally I keep mine terrestrial unless I want to breed them. From a pet keeper's perspective terrestrial newts are often less interesting because they are usually inactive and hidden.
Ah Okay. Thank you 🙏🏽

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!