Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Metamorphed Axy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Freeky - I am very pleased he's doing well. I was a little worried when you initially contacted me and we made the call that he really was metamorphosing that he wouldn't live very long. I'm pleased that he has flourished. I wanted to ask you two questions:

1) Can I use your photo in this thread on my axolotl site please? I will of course give you credit.

2) What forum are people giving you a hard time on? I am curious. Feel free to post a link (normally this is frowned upon but I'm requesting it please ;) ).

Regarding the great link to Tim Burkhardt's photos of Ambystoma velasci, look at the toes - looks like a missing link between USA tiger toes and axolotl toes.

freekygeeky

Reaction score
Freeky - I am very pleased he's doing well. I was a little worried when you initially contacted me and we made the call that he really was metamorphosing that he wouldn't live very long. I'm pleased that he has flourished. I wanted to ask you two questions:

1) Can I use your photo in this thread on my axolotl site please? I will of course give you credit.

2) What forum are people giving you a hard time on? I am curious. Feel free to post a link (normally this is frowned upon but I'm requesting it please ;) ).

Regarding the great link to Tim Burkhardt's photos of Ambystoma velasci, look at the toes - looks like a missing link between USA tiger toes and axolotl toes.

sorry about a very late reply.
thats fine about using my photo :)
and i can get alot more.
he is an AMAZING hunter SO fast!!!!!!
not friendly though, anythign that moves - is food. hehe
he is getting more and more spotty and loves hiding in a flower pot!
he has now moved in to a bigger 3 foot tank. and Loving it.
and the forum.. i wont say - its a great forum just a few ...... annoying people.
someone i asked and recommended that i spoke to you (freined sof you i think... *hides*. they think i am eveil, i didn it on pupose and i dont care about it..
this is becuase i was thinking of selling it - so it got the best care - its alot different to a llizard etc etc.
infact i asked loads of help from you and a few other people. he has completely metermorphed and
is eating and pooing etc etc fine.
teh sad thign is .. he wont live as long.
and one thing i must say is..
.dont listen to just one person.. (theperson i brought it from)
do your own research. in just 1 - 2 weeks i did this .. and i felt incredibly guilty.

(sorry for spelling!!!)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I think the lifespan of a naturally morphed axolotl is significantly higher than one that is forced to metamorph. If chemicals are used to morph an axolotl, that means they cannot create these chemicals themselves, and will probably die much more quickly than those that morph naturally, and can create their own chemicals.

Don't let people get you down. You're doing a good job.

freekygeeky

Reaction score
thank you.

and ill get some more pictures soon!!

I think the lifespan of a naturally morphed axolotl is significantly higher than one that is forced to metamorph. If chemicals are used to morph an axolotl, that means they cannot create these chemicals themselves, and will probably die much more quickly than those that morph naturally, and can create their own chemicals.

Don't let people get you down. You're doing a good job.

clairey85

Reaction score
your axie/ salamander looks absolutely stunning!!!!

I wish i knew somewhere here that actually sold salamander newts where i am so i can watch it change... not that i dont love my maurice to death cos hes awesome too :D
but that must be soo cool that your fish evolved!
Congrats!!!

freekygeeky

Reaction score
your axie/ salamander looks absolutely stunning!!!!

I wish i knew somewhere here that actually sold salamander newts where i am so i can watch it change... not that i dont love my maurice to death cos hes awesome too :D
but that must be soo cool that your fish evolved!
Congrats!!!
:) thank you

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I've added/am adding one of your photos to the axolotl site (I'm doing some fixes and updates to that whole site right now).

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Those photos of Mexican Tiger salamanders aren't representative - those animals have a lot less spotting than most photos of velasci.

MistressOfAxies

Reaction score
That is so neat & scary for me at the same time. My new addition axolotl looks like yours Pokeon hes onyx with yellow small pokedots. Hope he stays an axolotl I don't know the first thing bout those lizards lol. But hey thats pretty neat congrats!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know the first thing bout those lizards lol
Please, the purpose of this site is to provide authoritative information. Calling them lizards just brings the whole thing down. They are not lizards/reptiles, they are amphibians, a completely different class of animal. This is talked about on the front of the Axolotl Site, http://www.axolotl.org.

pete

Reaction score
I saw this YouTube video awhile ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0BanyQyc3Q. Since this seems to be the morphed axie section, I thought I'd post it here. Since the text is German, I don't know for certain, but it looks like an axolotl morph. I was surprised to see it eat non-live stationary food.

I just saw this post, and just wanted to say that it's tough to say how representative they are/aren't. It could just be that most velasci pictures come from one particular known or accessible region. Most likely, like our tigers, the Mexicans probably have a range of patterning. Photos from several regions may be the most representative.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
It ate a pellet!! I allways thought when they morphed they would stop eating pellets and go for just live foods. Well I learned something

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't worry

Its very unusual for this to happen. Freeky's was kept at one point in rather poor water conditions which may have triggered this .

catfishmck

Reaction score
freeky please have a look

hi :confused:
Here r some pic's of alex he/she (Im not sure yet any help on that too would be appreciated) use to look just like your first picture ive recently moved alex to a bigger tank now its losted all its gills eyes have gone kind of foggy and theres very little movment at all and no eatting. Im asking you cause it looks just the same can you help

Attachments

• alex2.jpg
    alex2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,869
  • alex3.JPG
    alex3.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,548
  • alex4.jpg
    alex4.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,537
Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!