Mites, how bad?

Sebby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
sebastian
Hello all,
sorry if I have missed a post with this info but I am interested in what problems mites cause in fruit fly cultures.
Although some people find them very irritating, causing an itching sensation (including myself) and they obviously take food from the flies we are trying to breed, can anyone point me in the direction of any papers or obvious problems they have experienced with them?
Any problems such as, irritations on animals, drastic reductions in fly (or other food animal) numbers?
Thanks for any help received
Sebastian

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mites just ruin fly cultures. The cultures will just not produce the amounts they should. If you get them it's best to just start over.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin
Mites will destroy a fruit fly culture if their numbers explode. You will always have mites in your cultures, there is no way around that. There are some things you can do to reduce the amount of mites. Always use boiling water when starting new cultures. Before you add the flies, microwave your cultures for about 20 seconds. Also, keeping the cultures on some type of mite paper (just remember to change the paper about every 3 months) will reduce the number of mites that crawl into your cultures.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never get mites. Now I know it's cause I boil my water....lol.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Itchy skin, sneezing and sometimes wheezing is the affect they have on me. :mad:

I always assume my fly cultures will have mites. You can sterilise as much as you like but there'll nearly always be mites carried across with the flies used to start the next culture. As Justin says, sitting the cultures on mite paper really helps to reduce the numbers.

I us a commercial mix for my fly medium and despite large numbers of mites towards the end of the culture I still get plenty of flies. Once you have a steady culture cycle mites just become part of the cycle too. When starting new cultures just make sure the new pots, medium and rafia are as mite free as you can make them.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I cultured fruit flies for years with zero mites. But since moving house 8 years ago, I've had a battle with them. I've tried starting over with a fresh starter culture of flies and boiling everything and using mite paper. But now I have the mites again, in spite of my efforts. I think I'll just have to persist and accept the lower yield of flies.

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
huh. I've never had mites, and I don't boil the medium. I do use a bit of yeast in the medium - maybe that deters mites as well?

Are these the same mites you get in worm cultures - those fat, shiny, whitish balloon like ones?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am using dry mix from Carolina Biological, plus a sprinkle of yeast. I don't think yeast deters them.

Yes, the mites are those lovely fat shiny white ones. I don't know if they are the same species as the ones that get in worm cultures, but certainly similar.

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
would those fat lil mites be a good food for young terrestrial newts? They certainly look juicy..

oceanblue

Reaction score
Country
Wales
If you've got mites and really want to minimise or get rid of them daily transfers of a few flies across culture medium may work. Moving cultures on fast helps control them. One reason D hydei is more tricky is it is slower than mites to breed while D. melanogaster is quicker. It also has a long post emergence period of sexual immaturity for the males (10 days).

I've only just started culturing D hydei so at the moment I can't give much in the way of practical tips but if my cultures look infested I'm going to attempt to achieve clean cultures.

Here is how the professionals control mites! Mites and how to avoid them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sal22:
    I think my axie is dying, he’s never had any issues before, I’ve had him 3 years, today I noticed some fluffy looking stuff coming from his genital area so I took him out of his tank and did a full tank clean to make sure the water wasn’t infected as I thought it was fungus and then I noticed he had a cut on his belly which was only small about 5 hours ago and now it’s spread to all of his belly, what do I do I’m freaking out
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sal22:
    Update about my axie, unfortunately he has died over night, he looked as if he was bruised allover his belly, his mucus layer had also started to come off.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    Anyone here from DMV?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Hi I have 2 4in juveniles (I’ve had them about 2 weeks and they are doing well I think they’ve grown a little already honestly) but I am supposed to go on a 5-6 day vacation in October about 3-4 months from now. I am wondering how I should go about their care when I am gone. I thought about putting them in separate (fairly big) containers with live plants and/or bubblers with a fan in the dark and either fridging them (my last plan) but I am hoping to to either have someone I trust come feed them and turkey baste waste out or just leave them out and clean the containers before we leave and have someone come check on them once or twice. Does any of this sound like a good or bad idea? I want the best for them. All help appreciated :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    @patrickstar116, do you still have your fire salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • patrickstar116:
    @Ganaa, I do you may message me if you wish
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    hi.....
    +1
    Unlike
  • JDeslippe21:
    Hi, so I have 2 male axolotls and about an hour ago they were both perfectly fine and now only one of them has his tail curling up and his gills are slightly curled?? But other than that they’re both acting normally
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Could be he's just excited, spooked or temporarily stressed, which could pass in a few hours. It could also be an indicator of other problems. Do you have any recent water parameters?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Does anyone have any idea how to help with high ammonia levels? I have the API freshwater master kit and everything else’s test results were great besides ammonia. I did a 50% water change and I use API products including ammonia lock.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Help! I got my first axolotl two days ago and they have stopped eating. They ate a few frozen blood worms the first day and haven’t eaten or been interested in food since. I feed them frozen blood worms and the tank is around 64 degrees. I do have a filter that moves sometimes and I noticed them swimming up to it, I have a new filter and a fan coming today or tomorrow. I leave the worms in the tank or a little bit before taking them out so I don’t know if they ate when I wasn’t looking. I know it takes a while for them to digest. Does anyone have any tips or knowledge they can share? The pet store I bought them from didn’t have gravel or sand in the tank so I’m not sure if theres an issue or if I’m just impatient. Thank you!
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu, how big they are? also for substrate, i would not do gravel at all I would either do sand or none at all!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    They are about 2-3 inches long and I have them in a bare bottom tank
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu I would say try live black/blood worms untell they are full or just turn there head away ( that's what mine do) if that does not work try to get some live brine shrimp and see if they eat that. baby axolotl prefer live food over frozen food as the frozen food is too cold for them or they can't eat it in one go( that's if you do the blocks) mine eat chopped up frozen thawed shrimp. as for them not eating from what I have experienced with my second axolotl, I got her when she was about an inch long and she ate every day, when they start getting 3-4 inches long they will gradually slow down there eating. and if you really want to do substrate I would do sand because if they do ingest a little bit it won't hurt them.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Thank you so much for the information and advice! They are eating again, they ate a lot today. I think it might have been stress from the move or digesting old food, I also noticed they ate some of the food left in the tank (I removed the rest). I’m going to keep the tank bare bottom.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu,your so welcome im glad to be of help! and I'm glad that they are eating as well!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AidanD has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MotherofAxolotls:
    Does anybody know where I can find a Starburst Wild type axolotl??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Alice28:
    Good morning everyone.
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    morning!
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MotherofAxolotls, i have like 3 but they aren't for sale T-T
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    MermaidMommy has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • MotherofAxolotls:
    @HalfDrunkToast is their a price that could change your mind? 🙂
    +1
    Unlike
    MotherofAxolotls: @HalfDrunkToast is their a price that could change your mind? 🙂 +1