Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Moss Balls, Yay or Nay?

Moss Balls, Yay or Nay

• I love them in my tank

Votes: 100 42.6%
  • I like them in my tank

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I'd like to use them in my tank

Votes: 71 30.2%
  • I don't really care

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • I don't like them

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • I hate them

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I want to destroy all moss balls

Votes: 6 2.6%

• Total voters

Kaini

Reaction score
I love them. They're super easy to care for as far as live plants go and seem to help the levels in the tank. My lotl likes climbing on his :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
It's not whether I like them or not, it's whether my axies like them....

auntiejude

Reaction score
I don't have any, yet, but I think I might get some soon, are they good for axie eggs to stick on to?
I've had eggs on the plastic plants, the ornaments, the hides, the filter inlet, the airline pipe, the airstone itself (WTF?!) the floor, and I swear they would lay eggs on each other if they sat still for long enough. But not on the moss balls.

Tephra

Reaction score
My golden axie likes to lay her eggs on the 3D aquarium background. It's hell to get them off of there :lame:

bugdozer

Reaction score
I have a moss ball in my tropical fish tank. It requires zero care and is thriving. I do know someone who had a moss ball and it started to disintegrate and clog her filter though, so beware.

Ripley

Reaction score
I have caught several of my Axies lounging on the moss balls I have in their tank and have even seen Ripley push one around till it was out of his way.

VegasMudd

Reaction score
My moss ball is huge so they try and put in in their hides but it doesn't fit, always seems to be in front of a hide. They also steal strands of hornwort and frogbit to line their hides with. Its a daily struggle on my part since I want the plants to survive.

jlobello

Reaction score
I should be getting 15 large moss balls at the end of the month..can't wait to give a few to my axie. The others I am keeping as Marimo balls in their own habitats.. ;)

EmbryH

Reaction score
I have nothing against moss balls, and am in fact tempted to get a couple, but I just had to choose the last polling option...

Ripley

Reaction score
I also have them in my large fish tank the frogs love playing with them and laying on them.

Attachments

• Frogs.jpg
    Frogs.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 4,220

Smoxolotl

Reaction score
Moss balls make great filters! Just wring them out like a sponge, especially after just purchasing them, then hand roll them back into a nice shape and return to water. I couldn't believe the amount of gunk that mine had in them when I first got them! Some people even string them together and make a floating filter chain. When they get large, divide, and repeat the process. Works great for my tanks!:happy:

fireball99

Reaction score
My axie's moss balls lasted a few days before it was in bits and only the plastic thing that holds the moss together was left. I'd bought my axie it as a toy he could shove around the place but he didn't seem impressed.

I ended up giving him a little ball which he seems to prefer. You'll see in the photos he liked to pose both standing one footed on the ball, and also leaning on it with his arm at a jaunty angle, like an old uncle about to tell you an amusing story from his youth...

Attachments

• Axl ball.jpg
    Axl ball.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,332
  • axl lean.jpg
    axl lean.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,131
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!