Moving with aquatic newt ??

alpenglow

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to be driving up to college in a few weeks, and I plan on taking my paddletail newt with me. I'm unsure of how to transport him (it'll be a 10-hour car ride). I've seen advice to just put newts in a tubberware with damp moss in an ice box, but given he's fully aquatic I'm worried it would stress him out too much to take him out of the water.

I've transported him before over a much shorter distance (about 10 minutes) by putting him in a tubberware with a few inches of water, but I'm worried this wouldn't hold up over such a long distance. Does anyone have advice / experience with this?

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure if its 100% the same but i know that to transport axolotls its advised to use a bucket or other dark container with enough water to cover them plus a little extra (but not so much that its going to splash around a lot). I've also seen it advised to use an airstone during transport if you can get a battery powered or usb pump.
If temperature is an issue you could put the bucket in a cooler and even put a bag of ice next to it

alpenglow

Reaction score
Country
United States
i've looked into transporting axolotls since making this post, and i figure i'll do something like that for my newt.
is it wise to have something glued down in the middle of the tubberware like one of those cave decorations for him to take refuge in / keep from getting thrown around too much ? or could that be a hazard even when secured by glue ?

SKC

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I took a taricha (aquatic) on a 5 hour road trip once. She was in a tupperware container with airholes in the lid and just enough water to cover her (so she had a little bit of traction). I didn't want to put anything else in there for fear of crushing injuries. I just took corners carefully but highway driving wasn't a problem. Accelerate/decelerate smoothly if safe to do so. However you decide to do this, please please please do not leave your newt in the car if you have to hit up a rest stop for lunch or whatever. Tupperware is a great camouflage for bringing it in with you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    Where can I find a yellow western tiger
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has joined the room.