Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Moving with aquatic newt ??

alpenglow

Reaction score
I'm going to be driving up to college in a few weeks, and I plan on taking my paddletail newt with me. I'm unsure of how to transport him (it'll be a 10-hour car ride). I've seen advice to just put newts in a tubberware with damp moss in an ice box, but given he's fully aquatic I'm worried it would stress him out too much to take him out of the water.

I've transported him before over a much shorter distance (about 10 minutes) by putting him in a tubberware with a few inches of water, but I'm worried this wouldn't hold up over such a long distance. Does anyone have advice / experience with this?

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
Not sure if its 100% the same but i know that to transport axolotls its advised to use a bucket or other dark container with enough water to cover them plus a little extra (but not so much that its going to splash around a lot). I've also seen it advised to use an airstone during transport if you can get a battery powered or usb pump.
If temperature is an issue you could put the bucket in a cooler and even put a bag of ice next to it

alpenglow

Reaction score
i've looked into transporting axolotls since making this post, and i figure i'll do something like that for my newt.
is it wise to have something glued down in the middle of the tubberware like one of those cave decorations for him to take refuge in / keep from getting thrown around too much ? or could that be a hazard even when secured by glue ?

SKC

Reaction score
I took a taricha (aquatic) on a 5 hour road trip once. She was in a tupperware container with airholes in the lid and just enough water to cover her (so she had a little bit of traction). I didn't want to put anything else in there for fear of crushing injuries. I just took corners carefully but highway driving wasn't a problem. Accelerate/decelerate smoothly if safe to do so. However you decide to do this, please please please do not leave your newt in the car if you have to hit up a rest stop for lunch or whatever. Tupperware is a great camouflage for bringing it in with you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1