Moving with salamanders. Getting sloshed around no good?

SalamanderSlim

Reaction score
Country
United States
I plan on moving pretty soon and I'm going to be doing it by vehicle. I haven't moved with salamanders before or newts but I have moved once with a snake. I remember it was pretty easy cuz I just put him in a pillow sheet and in a cardboard box. Apparently that's the way to do it.

So I just wanted to find out if there's anybody out there that has any tips or advice for me on how to not stress out my little buddies here. All the help is much appreciated.

Thank you,

SalamanderSlim

Will you have the air con on in the car? How far are you planning on traveling? Could you have a tank set up waiting at the destination? My experience in these matter is how much water gets thrown about the car so a water tight container is essential but remember that's also going to be air tight.

You could put the AC on and put some moist sphagnum moss in there. No need for water I don't think if you have the moisture necessary. Ive used this method and it works well.

Yes, as joemamma says, sphagnum, or some kind of plant in the water is good to cushion them against sloshing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back