My Eastern Newt Setup

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have had eastern newts for a few years, I caught some as a kid and also came across some larvae in a puddle that I was able to grow to adults. I have 9 of them in here varying in size. They seem to be quite active which is nice. I also have some Warty Newts sold to me as firebellys but I'm rebuilding their home I will post pics when complete. If anyone is looking for eastern newts I would be happy to trade for a new species! I have a room in my house where I keep them and they are so fascinating so I'm always open to more.

Inside the tank there are about 5 ominnows, 2 algae eating shrimp, 4-5 toads that just morphed from tadpoles and 9 newts. I also have a filter hidden in the back to improve water quality. I keep it heavily planted so there's enough hiding spots for everyone. In the years I've had them I haven't had any issues with the fish or shrimp in the tank. I did put the warty newts in their while I was cleaning their tank once and noticed they did get a little bit aggressive especially towards the smaller easterns (that could likely fit in their mouth lol).

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2220.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2220.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,621
  • thumbnail_IMG_2221.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2221.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,262
  • thumbnail_IMG_2222.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2222.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 501

TiaW

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cool set up. Do you happen to know what it means when newts tremble the bottom of their mouth, similar to lizards. It seems to happen when they see food right before they lunge for it but I've seen it when I think they might be scared. Also I've heard they're hard to keep. Any idea why?

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
i'm not too sure what it means, i always though they were 'tasting the water' or something to confirm its food, but i've also noticed they do it when they are scared. i'm not sure why they've got that reputation I've had nothing but success with them, they're pretty easy. maybe thats because i use a filter? I guess a lot of people don't, the only newts i've lost in the past were without a filter so now I always use one and it seems to work for me

TiaW

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is your PH? I think eastern newts may need a more acidic environment like 5-6.

Niels D

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
They like 5 or 6 indeed. At least in my experience. I've had problems with fungus in setups with higher PH. Tried oak and beech leaves, which didn't work as well as I hoped. Alder cones worked better, though some way more experienced keepers have succes with oak leaves. Maybe they use American oak, because I only tried European oak.

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
its at 6. i don't do anything really it kind of just figures itself out. I have driftwood in there and some branches. I just check on occasion to make sure its still in line. the alkalinity is balanced and in my experience when that's the case and the pH is right it doesn't fluctuate too much.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    MelissaKenyon has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    I posted a thread about my axolotl if anyone is able to help me out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    She’s not eating, her tail and gills have shrunk, she’s lot a lot of weight, and we’ve checked her water levels with no negative results
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    ^ axie owner advised me to get some IAL, I’m working on sourcing some for my baby.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    wendtdale has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Would fish medicine made from IAL be alright or are leaves more ideal?
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Dustinaguilar has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • ChloeAnna:
    So, what sex do we think my lil Mew is?
    +1
    Unlike
  • ChloeAnna:
    I have no idea what I’m doing 🤦🏼‍♀️ I don’t know how to work this website 😅 sorry, ignore the last message 🤦🏼‍♀️
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    man
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    i really want marbled newts but lately the expos have been cancled last minute because of dumb covid stuff
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ax0lot:
    Hey does anyone know why my axolotls mouth is stuck open? Been like that for a few weeks and when I tested water everything was fine
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you should probably take it to the vet
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    so that dumb salamander state to state import bill didnt pass i take it right
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    havent heard news about it in a good while
    +1
    Unlike
  • wnorman293:
    Hi, how do you delete a post?
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you dont
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    just kidding but i think there should be an option for it on your profile mabye
    +1
    Unlike
  • ipsoslolly:
    Hi guys my axolotl has not used his back legs since late Tuesday night,is this normal . He back half keeps floating up the way
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    that doesnt sound good
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Is it normal for my axie to eat every day? He’s overly hungry 😛
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dr. Phil:
    I'm new here but do I detect a bit of sarcasm in these comments? Ya'll sound like a fine bunch to me!
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    oh yes we’re all very sarcastic
    +1
    Unlike
    axolotl nerd: oh yes we’re all very sarcastic +1