Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Eastern Newt Setup

shnabo

Reaction score
I have had eastern newts for a few years, I caught some as a kid and also came across some larvae in a puddle that I was able to grow to adults. I have 9 of them in here varying in size. They seem to be quite active which is nice. I also have some Warty Newts sold to me as firebellys but I'm rebuilding their home I will post pics when complete. If anyone is looking for eastern newts I would be happy to trade for a new species! I have a room in my house where I keep them and they are so fascinating so I'm always open to more.

Inside the tank there are about 5 ominnows, 2 algae eating shrimp, 4-5 toads that just morphed from tadpoles and 9 newts. I also have a filter hidden in the back to improve water quality. I keep it heavily planted so there's enough hiding spots for everyone. In the years I've had them I haven't had any issues with the fish or shrimp in the tank. I did put the warty newts in their while I was cleaning their tank once and noticed they did get a little bit aggressive especially towards the smaller easterns (that could likely fit in their mouth lol).

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2220.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2220.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 3,701
  • thumbnail_IMG_2221.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2221.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,831
  • thumbnail_IMG_2222.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2222.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 869

TiaW

Reaction score
Cool set up. Do you happen to know what it means when newts tremble the bottom of their mouth, similar to lizards. It seems to happen when they see food right before they lunge for it but I've seen it when I think they might be scared. Also I've heard they're hard to keep. Any idea why?

shnabo

Reaction score
i'm not too sure what it means, i always though they were 'tasting the water' or something to confirm its food, but i've also noticed they do it when they are scared. i'm not sure why they've got that reputation I've had nothing but success with them, they're pretty easy. maybe thats because i use a filter? I guess a lot of people don't, the only newts i've lost in the past were without a filter so now I always use one and it seems to work for me

TiaW

Reaction score
What is your PH? I think eastern newts may need a more acidic environment like 5-6.

Niels D

Reaction score
They like 5 or 6 indeed. At least in my experience. I've had problems with fungus in setups with higher PH. Tried oak and beech leaves, which didn't work as well as I hoped. Alder cones worked better, though some way more experienced keepers have succes with oak leaves. Maybe they use American oak, because I only tried European oak.

shnabo

Reaction score
its at 6. i don't do anything really it kind of just figures itself out. I have driftwood in there and some branches. I just check on occasion to make sure its still in line. the alkalinity is balanced and in my experience when that's the case and the pH is right it doesn't fluctuate too much.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!