Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Marms

MRIGUY

Reaction score
Decent shots but a photographer I am not.

Attachments

• Marm 1.jpg
    Marm 1.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 381
  • Marm 4.jpg
    Marm 4.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 317
  • Marm 5.jpg
    Marm 5.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 367

MRIGUY

Reaction score
and a few more

And a few more. This viv has been set-up for a while but I have never gotten around to finishing the planting, hence the plastic "pots". A photographer I may not be but a slacker.... I'm in training.

Attachments

• Marm 6.jpg
    Marm 6.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 309
  • Marm 7.jpg
    Marm 7.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 284
  • Marm 8.jpg
    Marm 8.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 319

coendeurloo

Reaction score
I think the photos are very nice MRIGUY, how do you keep the moss alive (lighting, humidity, acidity level?)

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I don't care if your a photographer, from what I see, those are some spectacular newts!:D I think the setup looks really nice as well.

MRIGUY

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. The tank is a 20g (12x24x16). The back is foam with embedded wood, the bottom is egg crate with leca and coco fiber mixed with creek sand (5%) and dirt from a clean source (5%). The moss is a mix of three types. One is tropical sheet moss from Black Jungle, the pillow (?) moss is from somewhere I can't remember, and the long fiber sheet moss is a local harvest. I found a rock quarry with some really sheltered areas that grow the stuff. It is a bear to get to but worth it. If anyone wants some, hit me up and I'll see what I can do.

The tank is room temp, currently 68.5, but varies from 63 to 77 depending on the season. The lighting is a coralife dual tube T5 light. 24W x 10,000K. There are 4 marms in there and they are just as happy as little clams. There is a little water area and when they start to like the water more I have another set-up that is 80% water for them.

MRIGUY

Reaction score
Forgot the humidity. This one is at 85%. I mist it by hand 2x a day. There are a ton of springtails and a small colony of woodlice but I need more. If anyone knows where to buy them I am all ears.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is a palatial enclosure! If my marms knew what they were missing out on they would be jealous indeed.

Make sure to replace the soil in the pot plants with soil you know is safe. I think I spot soil improvers in the top pot in the last shot. Shop bought pot plants may have allsorts of fertiliser/pesticide nasties.

MRIGUY

Reaction score
Thanks Mark,

It is a bit opulent but I am prone to using a larger tank than needed on a regular basis. In reality it is only a 20G but it has a couple of cool features and hides that make it seem roomier. You are correct about the potting mix. It will be removed completely when the plants are planted.

grius

Reaction score
Hello MRIGUY, could you perhaps post some pictures on the hole encolosure? realy good looking enviroment on this pics, and the marms are so cool!

/Tomas

snussmak

Reaction score
That's some good lookin' T.Marmoratus! Unfortunately my T.M. are just 4 cm juveniles so I have to keep them in a small boring enclosure at the moment. Hopefully they can move to their bigger aqua-terraria next year.

MRIGUY

Reaction score
I'll see what I can do about some additional shots. The tank is growing well and the marms are quite the little piggies.

Lasher

Reaction score
Hello MRIGUY, could you perhaps post some pictures on the hole encolosure? realy good looking enviroment on this pics, and the marms are so cool!

/Tomas

I'll second that.
I'd appreciate a listing of plant species, too, I recognise a few but dont have a clue what half of those are. Perhaps something we dont have(or arent that commom) over the pond?

potogold71

Reaction score
I want marms I want marms I want marms!!!! Great shots, Great tank, Great newts! Did I mention I want Marms!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!