Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Newt ( Triturus marmoratus )

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Having enjoyed owning and raising axolotl, I was recently given the chance to raise some Triturus marmoratus eggs.
I received these the start of May and kept them in an outdoor container with pond weed . A few nights ago I was about to do a water change and feed, when I noticed a little escapee making a dash for freedom up the side of the container.
The escapee has now been moved to a more secure container, with damp kitchen paper, some plant and a piece of broken clay plant pot. Hopefully it'll be joined soon by its 4 somewhat slower siblings.

Attachments

• Mynewt, porkpie and Ned 001.jpg
    Mynewt, porkpie and Ned 001.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 523
  • Mynewt, porkpie and Ned 002.jpg
    Mynewt, porkpie and Ned 002.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 476

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Congratulations :)
This is a gorgeous species that i´m sure will give you lots of good moments.

He looks slightly underdeveloped, which might mean food is a bit short in the container. You might want to feed the other larvae extra well so that they morph at a bigger size.
Just a guess though. Mind you, he is as cute as a button hehe.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Azhael.
I am really glad I posted this now as I wouldn't have known there was problem. The other four do look bigger than him, but had thought the morphing process may have made the difference. So far he's eating white worm, but I have raided the compost bin and have found all sorts of tiny insects that are now in with him.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It´s not as much a problem as an inconvenience. The bigger the morph the easier it is to raise and the bigger it´s chances to grow big fat and healthy. It doesn´t mean that little fellow can´t have a superb future ahead :)

Metamorphosis does take it´s toll...the size and most of all the volume of the little newts decreases significantly when they complete the process. It makes it even more important to try and get them to be as big as possible at the time of morphing.

I too expect more photos! Specially when that cute thing colours up!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
This morning I checked to see if he had eaten any of the sushi earthworm ..he had. He is looking rather lively stomping around searching for any goodies that may have appeared. I noticed also that he is developing his stripe along his back. I then went to check on his siblings and found one clinging to the lid. It seems they are queuing to venture onto land!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
A quick udate..all have made it onto land.

Attachments

• minewts x5 001.jpg
    minewts x5 001.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 410
  • minewts x5 002.jpg
    minewts x5 002.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 427
  • minewts x5 004.jpg
    minewts x5 004.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 518

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Lovely Julia, congratulations!!!!
We expect monthly updates :p

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems 2 weeks have passed and the newts ( and the family) have survived a traumatic move to a new home. I hadn't thought they had grown much, but having measured them realised they have nearly doubled in size. I am not sure if I am feeding them enough though. I feed them most days chopped earth worm and on the others the flightless fruit flies and any other small insect that I find. They are fed early evening when they are trundling about , by morning the worms are gone.

Attachments

• P1010617.jpg
    P1010617.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 368
  • P1010618.jpg
    P1010618.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 406
  • P1010621.jpg
    P1010621.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 358

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice work, Julia. If they are eating worms they should do well!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I had been worrying that as they are still so small( maybe 4cm) ,that the chopped worms where possibly too big. I don't need to worry any more. Yesterday I put in a hoard of fruit flies, this evening is worm night. I brought their box into the kitchen to feed them ( I keep them out side as it is easier to keep them cooler)...the pesky cat demanded feeding so I was distracted. When I came back to them I saw 3 of the 5 tucking into what seemed huge mouthfuls of worms..the other 2 seemed to be patiently waiting their turn. I must confess I fear I have become addicted to newts..........

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Muaaaaaahahahaha. Welcome to the life of a newt addict, it´s full of tanks in every corner but otherwise it´s lovely :p
They sure can chomp on quite large prey. I´m often astonished as to how big a mouthful these creatures can deal with.
They are looking great, by the way, very good job. From now on it will only be easier and easier to care for them...i bet in a couple of months they´ll be begging for food everytime they see you.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed they beg!

Attachments

• P1010678.jpg
    P1010678.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 366
  • P1010681.jpg
    P1010681.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 349
  • P1010684.jpg
    P1010684.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 376

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't resist updating!
They seem to be growing fast and really filling out. At feed time they look like mini Komodo Dragons. They are still kept in their container out side but the temperatures are dropping, so I will need to find somewhere where they won't get too cold. I am also needing to set up a tank with some type of substrate. I won't use soil from the garden as I have no idea what the previous owner used chemical wise. A trip to a decent pet shop is needed. They also seem to eat a little less now, they get a medium chopped worm alternate days and a good 'dose' of fruit flies on the others. As our new garden has loads of rocks and rotten fences I am finding lots of tiny woodlice, if I am in quick mode they get these too..

They are currently kept on paper, the last picture was taken when I cleaned their tank and they are sitting on the mesh from their lid

Attachments

• P1010719.jpg
    P1010719.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 358
  • P1010723.jpg
    P1010723.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 357
  • P1010720.jpg
    P1010720.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 359

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Very nice Julia! they look just wonderful! No doubt they are growing fast!:wacko:

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Look at those bellies! Great looking newts, keep up the good work. I love the pics that show them running off or climbing up to the top.

We love looking at the process updating just as much as you like posting them, keep it coming!

Mitch

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!