My Notos

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
These are pictures of my Notos. They're starting to exhibit their pre-breeding behavior (they haul out more, they're developing wide tails, et al.) I don't post pictures of them a lot because they're so fat I'm a little embarassed about it, but I limit their food, and I don't know what they're eating. I think they get up in the middle of the night and eat my pop tarts.
Other than that, I think they're healthy, lively specimens.

Attachments

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Travis Summers
Hey Dawn... Nice Pics!!!

Mine are looking the same way... it is exciting. I feel the same as you do. My Noto's seem to get pudgier every day, and I have reserved feeding to once per week. They are out of the water more than they are in it. Have your's been successful in breeding before?

Slimy2

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cameron Cheri
neat

They look very nice. I want to get a noto as I get older. I like their neat coloration.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
HI Travis,
Last year I separated the females after a bit of mating so they could lay eggs in privacy and then I took them out so they could hatch...I got nothing. Then one day I was leaning over the tank and I saw a little morph! Here's his (sad) (well, happy first, then sad) story.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49576&highlight=little+macke

Maybe this coming year...

Also, that's all mine get. Five notos sharing one worm once a week and they look like whales.

dane_zu

Reaction score
Country
United States
awesome notos, they are one of my favorite species, and they do look pretty fat, to much milk and cookies

juraj

Reaction score
Country
Slovak Republic
Hi Dawn,
I wouldn`t keep newts with tropical fish. This doesn`t give a good example. If I can take the liberty of saying this.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got you in a stranglehold, baby

Well, Noto Mating Season is upon me...Look how in the first picture the male looks like he has little fangs!! But it's just the way his hands are positioned. I sure did a double take until I figured it out!
Here's hoping for a Little Mack II...

Attachments

geganewt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Auzzie M.
i wish i had a noto., my two-lined tank was originaly for noto.s but i couldn't find any so i put
two-lines in it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Kwags:
    When little axolotls are tubbed is it common for them to get a little more spunky then usual? Water temps around 64-65 F and has been changed today with prime added
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Uh. That depends on your definition of "spunky"?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @Kwags, how big?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    my baby hes tubed and hes a wild child xD
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    Swimming like crazy. A little more pep in his step. I think about 3 inches.
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Hi does anyone know if jungle fungus clear is safe to use for my axolotl? She has some either fungus or bacterial growth on her fillibrae and maybe body and I read that's good to use if you aren't sure if the problem is bacterial or fungal
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    I have not heard of that before.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    That jungle fungus clear. I've been dealing with some fungus with my axolotl on and off this summer. The Holtsfreter solution and water changes just seem to do the trick after a bit
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Where do you get the holtsfreter solution? I've been upping water changes but salt bath seems to be more stressful/harmful than beneficial because she does not like to be caught!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Anyone know how to harden soft water without raising pH?
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    To raise GH, add calcium carbonate (or tums). What has you doing this?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Thank you! My tap water is naturally low in GH and KH, and I need to raise it... but I don't want to raise the pH, which is perfect, with coral.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EaglesFan78:
    anyone have firebelly newts forsale message me !!!!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • ShawnJPN:
    Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Hey all I’m looking for some help.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    How do I create a thread?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    LYes? It might be easier if u posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Yes, how can I do this? Is it by creating a room? Thank you for your help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey guys, I suppose this is a foolish question, but will my long-toed salamanders over-eat resulting in obesity?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    what are thoughts on using crushed coral or tufa rocks for resining the ph level in my tank? I have the seachem ph alert and it’s reading 5.4
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    meowzilla has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Delaney:
    Hi, I really need some advice about cloudy water in my axlotl tank!
    +2
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as substrate getting kicked up, water hardness, etc. if you don’t have hard water and it doesn’t settle then I’d do a water change and see if that helps.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Caramello:
    Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... I have seperate him and moved him to his own enclosure so he can get better hopefully but I don't have a filter in this specific enclosure. Please can you guys advise if I need to get him one or whether I can leave it? I have read a lot of articles that say they prefer still water and I can change his water frequently keeping it clean. Please advise 😊
    +1
    Unlike
    Caramello: Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... +1