Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Notos

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
These are pictures of my Notos. They're starting to exhibit their pre-breeding behavior (they haul out more, they're developing wide tails, et al.) I don't post pictures of them a lot because they're so fat I'm a little embarassed about it, but I limit their food, and I don't know what they're eating. I think they get up in the middle of the night and eat my pop tarts.
Other than that, I think they're healthy, lively specimens.

Attachments

• pNoto02.JPG
    pNoto02.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 349
  • pNOto03.JPG
    pNOto03.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 289
  • pNOto04.JPG
    pNOto04.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 290
  • pNOto05.JPG
    pNOto05.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 304
  • pNoto06.JPG
    pNoto06.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 298
  • pNoto07.JPG
    pNoto07.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 300

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Dawn... Nice Pics!!!

Mine are looking the same way... it is exciting. I feel the same as you do. My Noto's seem to get pudgier every day, and I have reserved feeding to once per week. They are out of the water more than they are in it. Have your's been successful in breeding before?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
HI Travis,
Last year I separated the females after a bit of mating so they could lay eggs in privacy and then I took them out so they could hatch...I got nothing. Then one day I was leaning over the tank and I saw a little morph! Here's his (sad) (well, happy first, then sad) story.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49576&highlight=little+macke

Maybe this coming year...

Also, that's all mine get. Five notos sharing one worm once a week and they look like whales.

dane_zu

Reaction score
awesome notos, they are one of my favorite species, and they do look pretty fat, to much milk and cookies

juraj

Reaction score
Hi Dawn,
I wouldn`t keep newts with tropical fish. This doesn`t give a good example. If I can take the liberty of saying this.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got you in a stranglehold, baby

Well, Noto Mating Season is upon me...Look how in the first picture the male looks like he has little fangs!! But it's just the way his hands are positioned. I sure did a double take until I figured it out!
Here's hoping for a Little Mack II...

Attachments

• pNotoTeeth.JPG
    pNotoTeeth.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 289
  • pNoto3.JPG
    pNoto3.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 285
  • pNoto2.JPG
    pNoto2.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 263

geganewt

Reaction score
i wish i had a noto., my two-lined tank was originaly for noto.s but i couldn't find any so i put
two-lines in it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1