Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My salamandra ( beschkovi and gigliolii )

T

travis

Hello, my name is Travis Dimler. I have been following the forum for a while but have never posted. I am from San Antonio, Texas, USA. I just thought I would post some pictures of my salamandra. I'd like to hear from anyone else who keeps gigliolii in the U.S.

This is my first time posting pictures, I hope it works.

My two sub-adult S. s. beschkovi

beschkovi.jpg

This is my adult male S.s. gigliolii I sure wish I could find him a mate!
gigliolii.jpg

I hope you enjoy.

T

travis

Very nice looking animals. Not many other people in the US keep either of those subs. The giglioli are really sought after but just scarce. How did you come across yours? Thanks for the pics.
Travis

F

frank

Hi Travis, nice animals. Why do you think these animals are beshkovi? They don't look like beshkovi to me, rather S. s. salamandra.

S

sergé

My same thoughts exactly. Typical besckovi have a broad stripe dorsal...

E

ester

Translated from "Der Feuersalamander" by Burkhard Thiesmeier (ISBN: 3-933066-21-2):

Of the following two subspecies, S. s. beschkovi is disputed and S. s. werneri has never been reconized, though it is discussed more often. S. s. beschkovi could be a local variation of S. s. salamandra. There are indications that S. s. werneri could be an individual taxonomic unit.

original text:
Von den nachfolgenden beiden Underarten ist S. s. beschkovi umstritten und S. s. werneri niemals anerkannt worden, wenngleich häufiger in der Diskussion. Bei S. s. beschkovi könnte es sich um eine Standortmodifikation von S. s. salamandra handeln. Für S. s. werneri gibt es Hinweise, dass eine eigenständige taxonomische Einheit vorliegen könnte.

I hope I did an ok job translating this!

(Message edited by ester on August 25, 2005)

T

travis

Thanks for the insight on beschkovi. I am certainly in no position to dispute the statements of others, as I am no expert on this salamandra subspecies. All I can tell you is what I know.

I purchased the two juvi salamandra from a guy here in the U.S. that was getting out of the salamandra breeding business. He was very knowledgeable and had spent quite some time over in Europe studying salamandra. He produced the two individuals. He told me that beschkovi were from the Primor (spelling??) mountains in Bulgaria. He told me that in his experience they tended to be a slightly more bulky salamandra with a cleaner, more vibrant yellow. This is the extent of what I know on beschkovi. I have yet to find much available information on this subspecies.

I appreciate the comments; I will not be distraught if they turn out to be plain old salamandra salamandra

Also, I am earnestly seeking a way to acquire female gigliolii. I know that there are none to be had over here. So any direction you could give me as to how I might get some would be greatly appreciated. We are at a loss for available salamandra in the U.S.A.

Travis

E

ester

More from the same book
happy.gif

Salamandra salamandra beschkovi Obst, 1981
Relatively large growing, short tailed and extremely short legged. The head looks like that of S. s. salamandra. Characterstic for the dorsal pattern is a clustering of yellow spots along or on top of the backbone, while the sides have a clustering of small sharply defined spots.
Habitat: Sandanski-Bistrica-valley (Pirin-mountains), north of the city Sandanski in the south of Bulgaria.
Distribution: Pirin-mountains in the south of bulgaria.

Original text:
Salamandra salamandra beschkovi Obst, 1981
Relativ grosswüchsig, kurzschwänzig und extrem kurzbeinig. Kopf ähnlich S. s. salamandra. Characteristisch für die RÜckenzeichnung ist eine Fleckungshäufung gelber Pigmentfelder entlang oder auf der Wilbersäule, während die Flanken durch eine Anhäufung kleiner, scharf begrenzter Flecken gekennzeichnet sind.
Terra typica: Sandanski-Bistrica-Tal (Pirin-Gebirge), nördlich der Stadt Sandanski, Südbulgarien.
Verbreitung: Pirin-Gebirge, Südbulgarien.

Blackbun

Reaction score
Re: My salamandra ( beschkovi and gigliolii )

Just looking back at some of the very old topics and posts. Firstly what magnificent animals and such beautiful photos are shown here.
Is there a library here some place showing all of the different subspecies and highlighting the huge variation in colour etc within a subspecies? I for one would benefit from one.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

No library as such, but there's so much knowledge and experience on here that you can spend hours post mining with the search function, I know I do and because most of the pictures are hosted by the site they are still visible all these years later, even in the archives. :)

http://www.caudata.org/forum/archive/index.php/

Blackbun

Reaction score

Thank you. You are absolutely right. I find it a very powerfully informative place to be. I maybe try using the app NoteMaster to create and collate information for a personal reference library.

Blackbun

Reaction score

ich danke Ihnen sehr ich eine Lese aller Verbindungen haben

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!