My tiger sally new home

Minnarden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys so i just acquired two larval tiger salamanders. i dont know there type though. one has tiger pattern the other has spots. they came from people leaving them to me, they purchased them in my local mall as dinosaur babies.

so one is starting to morph and i plan on keeping them now for sure instead of rehoming them. lucky i own a aquarium shop so i grab some things from the shelf and order a tank. i built a stand, and slap this thing together over the past two days. figure ya'll like to see it.
please let me know what you think an if need changes.

so this is the tank on the new stand i built. the tank is a 36"x18"x24" exo terra. it has a false bottom to allow water under the soil and allow drainage. the two corner have been drilled on the bottom. the right corner drains to a fluval 206 and return on the left with double wide return. this keeps very very low flow and pushed dirt and waste out from under the false bottom. cork bark is the walls of the bottom.
1.jpg

here a better view. the cork has holes to allow the salamanders to hide under the bottom while in there water form. when there ready the cork is sloped to help them out. the background was the original foam insert. i cut it out in one spot and i plan on adding a fern picture. i have the picture i havnt added it yet.
2.jpg

i inserted two plastic stumps. i cut them to arrange them as one rotten tree stump. added mulch and topsoil. sand in the water part. i made a heave slope with alot of dirt and made some tunnels for them. there plenty of dirt left to dig. there also two plastic tree stump hides buried into the soil.
photo-3.jpg

next i came and added plastic plants. and added two LED lights on sunrise/sunset dimming timers.
4.jpg

last i added live plants. live water plants. and alot of moss. plus i added the salamander from there temp 20 gallon. they instantly went under the false bottom and haven't seen them since. : P hopefully they will come out soon. i added a few ghost shrimp for food.
5.jpg

next week one should be on land for sure. she almost done morphing. the other IDK. i plan on adding the background soon. and on the right side foam background im going to add air plants to the top corner.

so what yall think? think they will be happy?

It's a good looking terrarium...good job!...I hope you can see the tigers soon and you can post some photos.... :D ....but I have a question....when they're morphed, i think the tigers can fall in to the water and drown....Have you thought about?

Hello. The one that morphin was out this morning and I feed him. I did think about them drowning so I'll probably lower the water when morphed. But the slop at the edge is very easy to climb out off. So I don't think I'd have a problem. Eventually I want to let the water plant grow out he water and make like a bog area.

That looks really nice. I hope I can do something half as good!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back