Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N. kaiseri eggs

Tim Robin

Reaction score
So we are still waiting for the N strauchii eggs. All three females look plump. While cleaning tanks today, found several N. kaiseri eggs. We have 1.2 CB N kaiseri. They have been kept aquatically all year. They are in our newt room and their water temp is between 57.5-60 or so. I have removed the eggs and will keep watching for more. Both females had very conical shaped cloacas tonight. My question is, what is the best water temp for the eggs? The same as the adults? I have them in the same room as the adults and I imagine the water temps in the smaller container will vary between 57 and say 64. Is that ok? Any other words of advice?

Thanks and I will try and get pics as I can. Fingers crossed they are fertile.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations, Tim! Yes, the temp range you have for the adults will be fine for eggs/larvae. Any sign of development yet?

Tim Robin

Reaction score
I will try and get some better pictures. I took some today, but they did not turn out very well. I could not get the focus on the egg very good. I attached a couple here, any opinions? They don't look like they have fungus, but they don't look much different yet either. I guess time will tell.

-88369760942D5C263.png

5703431036C64B7F0.png

Tim Robin

Reaction score
The eggs shown here were no good. I did remove 6 more today. My fingers are crossed that at least one is fertile.

Tim Robin

Reaction score
Of the six eggs removed Monday, three haven't molded. They look like this.....
Do they look good??

003-3.jpg

001-1.jpg

005.jpg

cg

Reaction score
those ones look good. It`s not uncommon to start out with a few duds before you start getting good viable eggs.

RobM

Reaction score
those ones look good. It`s not uncommon to start out with a few duds before you start getting good viable eggs.
My infertile eggs look like though.

I think unless you see development over the next few days then they are duds. I would say that perhaps the eggs in the 2nd and 3rd pictures are going to mold soon, sorry. Have you witnessed any breeding activity?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Neurergus eggs I've seen with a well defined white circle like in your shots have all been duds in my experience :(

Tim Robin

Reaction score
It is looking less and less likely. I have not witnessed any tail fanning with these guys, but admittedly I don't spend a lot of time in with them. It is pretty cold in there. :happy:

Tim Robin

Reaction score
Hopefully no one gets tired of these posts. I LOVE learning about these guys, they never cease to amaze me. Today I removed 7 eggs. They were sandwiched between flat stones and the round rocks supporting the stones. Simply amazing how they can place them like that. They appear very different from any others I have removed to this point. Again time will tell, my fingers are crossed. Here they are....

kaiserieggs3-10002.jpg

kaiserieggs3-10010.jpg

kaiserieggs3-10021.jpg

PS. How many posts do I have to make before they no longer require a moderator's approval? :wacko:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!