Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Native Tiger Salamanders in petshop! Speak up!

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I came a cross a group of 3 native Tigers Salamanders at a local moms and pops pet store. I asked the owner about the salamanders labelled as "Spotted Salamanders". We had a short conversation and then he decided they shouldn't be in the store and asked me to take them. They were given to the store by someone who collected them in Michigan and kept them as pets.

Now they are taken out of an aquatic tank and have better care. I didn't really want to take the Tiger Salamanders. I just wanted to Suggest better housing and how they shouldn't be in the store. After leaving with the 3 Tiger Salamanders, I felt glad. I'm glad I spoke up for the Salamanders. Because I did spoke up, next time someone drops by the store with salamanders that are native he'll reject them.

Here are some pics, before and after. These tigers are on the thin side and are morphs from this year. They are 7 inches and still have the lumps where gills use to be. Now I have 3 new Tiger Salamanders for free, which makes it even better.

Attachments

• IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 6,766
  • IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 931
  • IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 3,003

JessKB

Reaction score
Jaymes gave me one of these guys right after he got them and he's doing great. Fattening up and already growing! Glad you saved these guys Jaymes, otherwise you know they'd be dying in some kid's goldfish tank by now!

Attachments

• AT 1.jpg
    AT 1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 2,307
  • At2.jpg
    At2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 836
  • AT3.jpg
    AT3.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 713

JessKB

Reaction score
Thanks Linus. It goes to show what some leaf litter can do for an enclosure.

ba98mgt

Reaction score
Soooo lucky. I live about 30 mins south of Detroit. I've been calling places up to 2 hours away for the past year trying to find Tigers. I had a few, years ago and have been struggling to find more.

Recently, a pet store an hour south of me was able to order them. I'm finding out the hard way, pet shops suck. I ordered 2, 1 arrived dead, and I took the other. When I got home, I noticed it looks as if the spine is deformed. Needless to say, they're ordering me more and hopefully they'll let me keep this one to care for.

Sorry for the long post.

Oh, and hello, I'm Kris :)

igor

Reaction score
So glad to hear the happy ending. It's truly scary to think of what might have happened to these beautiful sals in the wrong hands.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As far as I remember, it is illegal to sell native MI species commercially anyway.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1