Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need information on how to take My two Axolotls Overseas...

Invadetor

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I had my two Axolotl for about 4 weeks (they are still small, around 3/4 inches), and they have been doing great, I did a water test today and it was perfect!
The only problem that I have, is that in a real long time (around 2/3/4 years) I want to move away from where I live right now (Italy) and go live in Japan, but don't know anything about how to transport my Axolotls... I don't actually even know if they are legal to own in Japan.
I know that I need the CITES documents (which I do have for the both of them), but don't really know what to do afterwards (like how to box them with oxygen, how to quickly restart to cycle the new tank, how not to stress them and etc...), and if it even possible to do to begin with!
I've seen this video that shows how to bring fishes and corals, but I'm not sure if it works the same with Axolotls.
Here the video:

Anyway thank for the help everyone, I really appreciate it!

WaterLily05

Reaction score
I am not sure about the legal or security standpoint of flying fish, but I know the answers to a couple of the other questions! To make the trip as calm and safe as possible for them, I would pack them up in bags with oxygen like pet stores do. You could put them in an insulated box or cooler with an ice pack to keep the temps good. To quickly cycle the tank in your new home, just use the same filter media you used before the move. So you would have a bag for each axolotl and a bag for the filter media.

Invadetor

Reaction score
Oh, I see, but won't they run out of Oxygen? The trip is on average 12 hours long, do I need to do anything else to put oxygen inside their bag or will that be OK?
Anyway thank for all the help!

JM29

Reaction score
Try to find Oxybag (2 bags, 1 per axolotl).
The bag breathes without losing water

Invadetor

Reaction score
Can you give me a link please, because I'm not 100% sure if those that I found on internet work.
Thank for the info tho!

topG23cz

Reaction score
Ahoj,
Ahoj všichni!
Měl jsem své dva Axolotly asi 4 týdny (ještě jsou malé, kolem 3/4 palce) a vedou skvěle, dnes jsem udělal vodní test a bylo to perfektní!
Jediný problém, který mám, je, že se za opravdu dlouhou dobu (asi 2/3/4 roky) chci odstěhovat z místa, kde právě žiji (Itálie) a jít žít do Japonska, ale nevím o tom nic. jak přepravovat mé Axolotly... vlastně ani nevím, jestli je legální vlastnit v Japonsku.
Vím, že potřebuji dokumenty CITES (které mám pro oba), ale opravdu nevím, co mám dělat potom (například jak je zabalit do krabice s kyslíkem, jak rychle restartovat a nastartovat novou nádrž, jak nestresovat je atd...), a pokud je to vůbec možné udělat pro začátek!
Viděl jsem toto video, které ukazuje, jak přinášet ryby a korály, ale nejsem si jistý, jestli to funguje stejně s axolotly.
Zde video:

Každopádně děkuji všem za pomoc, moc si toho vážím!
Hi, How did you get CITES doc. for them?...and is it possible to arrange CITES doc. for axies in México to take some from México to home?

WaterLily05

Reaction score
Oh, I see, but won't they run out of Oxygen? The trip is on average 12 hours long, do I need to do anything else to put oxygen inside their bag or will that be OK?
Anyway thank for all the help!
People ship axolotls for 3 to 5 days in the mail, and they do fine. The biggest problem you will be running into is not letting the bags pop!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't have CITES papers for the animals, then it's a no-go I'm afraid. Almost no one has CITES documents for their animals.

Invadetor

Reaction score
If you don't have CITES papers for the animals, then it's a no-go I'm afraid. Almost no one has CITES documents for their animals.
I do have the CITES documents for the two of them, does that mean that I can do that?
That was the first thing I asked (if they had CITES documents) once I found them in the Pet Shop I usually go, and they immediately gave me the CITES documents once I bought them!

Invadetor

Reaction score
Ahoj,

Hi, How did you get CITES doc. for them?...and is it possible to arrange CITES doc. for axies in México to take some from México to home?
I asked the Pet Shop if they had them, and they gave me the documents of the Axolotl once I bought them.
I guess that if you don't have the documents, you have to ask from the people you bought, if they still have them... or you can ask to the Forest Service of where you live (I'm not sure how to translate into English), if they can give you permission (but I think it can be dangerous).

Invadetor

Reaction score
People ship axolotls for 3 to 5 days in the mail, and they do fine. The biggest problem you will be running into is not letting the bags pop!
Oh I see, well I guess that the best way to prevent the bag to pop, is to add some soft things near to it!

WaterLily05

Reaction score
Oh I see, well I guess that the best way to prevent the bag to pop, is to add some soft things near to it!
Putting the bags in something like a box or a cooler and padding them with something soft (I imagine paper bedding could work quite well. Though shredded packing paper would too) will help them not to pop. You just don’t want them loose somewhere in case they get bumped or dropped!

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I had my two Axolotl for about 4 weeks (they are still small, around 3/4 inches), and they have been doing great, I did a water test today and it was perfect!
The only problem that I have, is that in a real long time (around 2/3/4 years) I want to move away from where I live right now (Italy) and go live in Japan, but don't know anything about how to transport my Axolotls... I don't actually even know if they are legal to own in Japan.
I know that I need the CITES documents (which I do have for the both of them), but don't really know what to do afterwards (like how to box them with oxygen, how to quickly restart to cycle the new tank, how not to stress them and etc...), and if it even possible to do to begin with!
I've seen this video that shows how to bring fishes and corals, but I'm not sure if it works the same with Axolotls.
Here the video:

Anyway thank for the help everyone, I really appreciate it!
Also, you can double or triple bag them!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I do have the CITES documents for the two of them, does that mean that I can do that?
That was the first thing I asked (if they had CITES documents) once I found them in the Pet Shop I usually go, and they immediately gave me the CITES documents once I bought them!
The pet shop can't give you the CITES documents you need. You will need CITES export and or import papers for your own export and import. Your best bet is to sell them and buy new when you get to Japan.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!