New A. andersoni

JWERNER

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jay
I couldn't wait any longer to post pics. Our camera was broken by the kids and I been waiting to get a hold of a quality camera but I had to use the Crackberry instead,... for now!

Anyhow, Saturday I went to M.A.R.S. and I was slightly disappointing by the variety of Amphibians. No one had a single Newt or Salamander except Mike Shrom and Chip Freeves. Everything was snakes and dragons and well frogs which are way cool but not what I was looking for. Odd cause I thought it was IAD as well. I would imagine a lot more amphibians or at least a better variety.

Here it is purchased off of Mike Shrom.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Shannon
Hi Jay!

Awesome! I was there too, sorry I didn't see you there! Well...maybe I did...??? Check out the axolotl gallery where I posted pics of three of this one's siblings! Yours is beautiful and I like the mix of black and white sand!

I too, was a bit disappointed as well. Snakes definitely dominated, no doubt. Still, it's always a fun environment and I talked to a lot of people! Now I have to wonder if I saw you! I have some pics from the show on my profile page if you'd like to check it out. :D

JWERNER

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jay
I didn't see myself but my wifey was kind of mad while we were there cause every 20-30 year old looking male had tattoos and a black shirt like me so,.... who knows!

It was me and my wife and my 3 year old boy and 4 year old daughter that were kind of frantic. It was their first show and a day before my sons birthday. Made for the perfect excuse to go:D

The kids opted for the salt and pepper sand and its been running for a few weeks/months with nothing but freaking food once in a while cause I have been so patiently waiting to finally get back into things and well as you see over time the sand started to separate. The blacks obviously heavier.

Yours looks nice also. I wish I had my hands on a real camera already so I could get a real shot of the colors in mine.

I also stopped in at a members house on the way. Member Otolith/Perry was looking to find new homes for some of his collection and I decided to snag 'em up on my way into MARS.

It was perfect timing! I got three C. cyanurus and one wild type Axie and one melanoid.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Shannon
Excellent! Get them interested young! I'm sure we saw you guys, I always notice kids! We chose to leave our little monsters with a sitter that day, but they have attended other shows with us.

I had on a green T with sea turtles on the front and my husband was wearing an orange polo with white stripes.

I know! I wish I had a better camera too! Mine just doesn't do them or my axolotls justice. Of course, that may not be entirely the camera's fault in my case! lol

Wow! Great find! I saw that ad but too late...I'm glad you were able to provide a new home for some of his.

The show is a pretty good drive for us...probably you too! We do try to go every year though. Have a good one!

JWERNER

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jay
Excellent! Get them interested young! I'm sure we saw you guys, I always notice kids! We chose to leave our little monsters with a sitter that day, but they have attended other shows with us.

I had on a green T with sea turtles on the front and my husband was wearing an orange polo with white stripes.

I know! I wish I had a better camera too! Mine just doesn't do them or my axolotls justice. Of course, that may not be entirely the camera's fault in my case! lol

Wow! Great find! I saw that ad but too late...I'm glad you were able to provide a new home for some of his.

The show is a pretty good drive for us...probably you too! We do try to go every year though. Have a good one!

It was about 3 hours. I'm used to Hamburg which was only 25-30 minutes away from where I used to live. The ride was very interesting though. Lots of funny random WTH's!

Like a BATEMAN FOR SHERIF sign that was turned into a BAT MAN FOR SHERIF sign and a moped on the bay bridge with a passenger facing backwords holding on for dear life.

Oh, and lets not forget to mention the multiple turn arounds cause Map Quest has no clue and driving in Baltimore was a task in its own especially with a cooler holding a pair of Axies in the back and the steep hills:rolleyes:

JWERNER

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jay
Today I put him in a more sterile environment. Its my black on black quarantine tank:wacko:

He was kinda stressed out and his gills were turning deep purple. He is doing much better in this tank and Im going to keep him in here with the addition of some pvc at least till I get the 20 long set up for him.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

JWERNER

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jay
Thanks Ken. I cant wait to get some more but of my own this time:D

In that first pick in the QT you can see he is begging for my son to feed him.

JWERNER

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jay
As much as I wanted to keep this tank bare and as sterile as possible for now I had to put some sand in. He wasn't really getting a good hold and was stressed out a bit.

This guy loves chopped shrimp!

Attachments

zoezakella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zoe
wow he's amazing love the markings on him and his lovely long gills!!! Without sounding stupid as I am fairly new to the axie world what is the difference between axies and a . andersoni?

Good luck with him sure he will be very happy

dragonlady

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Shannon
I like the sand! It looks great. He really has some nice long gills too! He looks like one very happy Andersoni! :D

sek

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Neo
Oh beautiful andersoni, the sand looks really good against him and makes all of his beautiful markings stand out. My wild type mexicanum hates barebottom and it stresses him out a lot, yet my leucistic loves it. So wonderfully different.

firesalamander

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Dylan
Does anyone know if A. andersoni and axolotls can be interbred?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
In theory, yes, it should be perfectly possible, but why would anyone want to do such a stupid thing??

Ah..wait, yes...money....

JWERNER

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jay
Does anyone know if A. andersoni and axolotls can be interbred?
Yes they can and it has been done for scientific purposes if I can recall.

Personally I don't see any profit in hybridizing the two. Both are so similar in characteristics. I love my Axies but I also prefer the funny face and the stubby toes of the Andersoni,... hybridizing for that fact is stupid IMO.

EDIT: I guess someone could find value in a hybrid if traits of Albino or Melanoid Axie were to show in a Andersoni but I still prefer the natural beauty of the animal.

Last edited:

firesalamander

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Dylan
Yes yes, It would be very stupid to cross breed them. But this question came up after i read a post on these "silver dalmatian" axolotls on kingsnake. And i was wondering if this could be some sort of cross breed?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Lanalotl:
    Hi I recently rescued a lotl (i did weeks of research before rescuing) Hes mabey 5 or 6 years of age..the previous owner could not remember the exact age of him. I got him from her as he was or had been picked on by his tank mate another lotl who was bough with him from every younger age, I noticed one of his gills, a middle one at the end had split in two? And is slightly more floppy? He also appears or mabey I'm just over worried to mabey have lost some feathers, is that normal to lose some?...all levels in the tank are fine, but wondered if theres and advice anyone could give me as an experienced owner to a new one.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Axolotl Queen:
    @Lanalotl Sounds like the gills may have been nipped by the tank mate. If he is in his own tank and the parameters etc are all good, then he should grow them back and they should go back to full health and strength. However, depending on how old the injury is they may not fully grow back if they have been constantly nipped at.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Smknmom421:
    Can anyone tell me why this is happening? We just did a water change and after freaking out and whipping around the tank, an hour later they look like this. It won't let me send a pic. The edges of their gills are white and it looks like they have skin shedding off
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    That sounds like severe skin damage. If you post a thread on the forum, you can attach pictures.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    It sounds like something went wrong with the water change, so this could be very dangerous. Did you use a dechlorinator? Could it be there are traces of chlorine or soap in the water? (Or for example, in the bucket you used?)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Normally, I would recommend taking them out of the tank asap and putting them in a tub with fresh water, but if there's something wrong with your tap water or dechlorinator, that might not help either. Do you have acces to bottled water or rain water?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sal22:
    I think my axie is dying, he’s never had any issues before, I’ve had him 3 years, today I noticed some fluffy looking stuff coming from his genital area so I took him out of his tank and did a full tank clean to make sure the water wasn’t infected as I thought it was fungus and then I noticed he had a cut on his belly which was only small about 5 hours ago and now it’s spread to all of his belly, what do I do I’m freaking out
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sal22:
    Update about my axie, unfortunately he has died over night, he looked as if he was bruised allover his belly, his mucus layer had also started to come off.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    Anyone here from DMV?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Hi I have 2 4in juveniles (I’ve had them about 2 weeks and they are doing well I think they’ve grown a little already honestly) but I am supposed to go on a 5-6 day vacation in October about 3-4 months from now. I am wondering how I should go about their care when I am gone. I thought about putting them in separate (fairly big) containers with live plants and/or bubblers with a fan in the dark and either fridging them (my last plan) but I am hoping to to either have someone I trust come feed them and turkey baste waste out or just leave them out and clean the containers before we leave and have someone come check on them once or twice. Does any of this sound like a good or bad idea? I want the best for them. All help appreciated :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    @patrickstar116, do you still have your fire salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • patrickstar116:
    @Ganaa, I do you may message me if you wish
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    hi.....
    +1
    Unlike
  • JDeslippe21:
    Hi, so I have 2 male axolotls and about an hour ago they were both perfectly fine and now only one of them has his tail curling up and his gills are slightly curled?? But other than that they’re both acting normally
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Could be he's just excited, spooked or temporarily stressed, which could pass in a few hours. It could also be an indicator of other problems. Do you have any recent water parameters?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Does anyone have any idea how to help with high ammonia levels? I have the API freshwater master kit and everything else’s test results were great besides ammonia. I did a 50% water change and I use API products including ammonia lock.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Help! I got my first axolotl two days ago and they have stopped eating. They ate a few frozen blood worms the first day and haven’t eaten or been interested in food since. I feed them frozen blood worms and the tank is around 64 degrees. I do have a filter that moves sometimes and I noticed them swimming up to it, I have a new filter and a fan coming today or tomorrow. I leave the worms in the tank or a little bit before taking them out so I don’t know if they ate when I wasn’t looking. I know it takes a while for them to digest. Does anyone have any tips or knowledge they can share? The pet store I bought them from didn’t have gravel or sand in the tank so I’m not sure if theres an issue or if I’m just impatient. Thank you!
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu, how big they are? also for substrate, i would not do gravel at all I would either do sand or none at all!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    They are about 2-3 inches long and I have them in a bare bottom tank
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu I would say try live black/blood worms untell they are full or just turn there head away ( that's what mine do) if that does not work try to get some live brine shrimp and see if they eat that. baby axolotl prefer live food over frozen food as the frozen food is too cold for them or they can't eat it in one go( that's if you do the blocks) mine eat chopped up frozen thawed shrimp. as for them not eating from what I have experienced with my second axolotl, I got her when she was about an inch long and she ate every day, when they start getting 3-4 inches long they will gradually slow down there eating. and if you really want to do substrate I would do sand because if they do ingest a little bit it won't hurt them.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Thank you so much for the information and advice! They are eating again, they ate a lot today. I think it might have been stress from the move or digesting old food, I also noticed they ate some of the food left in the tank (I removed the rest). I’m going to keep the tank bare bottom.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu,your so welcome im glad to be of help! and I'm glad that they are eating as well!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AidanD has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
    Chat Bot: AidanD has left the room. +1