Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New A. andersoni

JWERNER

Reaction score
I couldn't wait any longer to post pics. Our camera was broken by the kids and I been waiting to get a hold of a quality camera but I had to use the Crackberry instead,... for now!

Anyhow, Saturday I went to M.A.R.S. and I was slightly disappointing by the variety of Amphibians. No one had a single Newt or Salamander except Mike Shrom and Chip Freeves. Everything was snakes and dragons and well frogs which are way cool but not what I was looking for. Odd cause I thought it was IAD as well. I would imagine a lot more amphibians or at least a better variety.

Here it is purchased off of Mike Shrom.

jwerner-albums-andersoni-picture12496-a.jpg

jwerner-albums-andersoni-picture12497-a.jpg

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi Jay!

Awesome! I was there too, sorry I didn't see you there! Well...maybe I did...??? Check out the axolotl gallery where I posted pics of three of this one's siblings! Yours is beautiful and I like the mix of black and white sand!

I too, was a bit disappointed as well. Snakes definitely dominated, no doubt. Still, it's always a fun environment and I talked to a lot of people! Now I have to wonder if I saw you! I have some pics from the show on my profile page if you'd like to check it out. :D

JWERNER

Reaction score
I didn't see myself but my wifey was kind of mad while we were there cause every 20-30 year old looking male had tattoos and a black shirt like me so,.... who knows!

It was me and my wife and my 3 year old boy and 4 year old daughter that were kind of frantic. It was their first show and a day before my sons birthday. Made for the perfect excuse to go:D

The kids opted for the salt and pepper sand and its been running for a few weeks/months with nothing but freaking food once in a while cause I have been so patiently waiting to finally get back into things and well as you see over time the sand started to separate. The blacks obviously heavier.

Yours looks nice also. I wish I had my hands on a real camera already so I could get a real shot of the colors in mine.

I also stopped in at a members house on the way. Member Otolith/Perry was looking to find new homes for some of his collection and I decided to snag 'em up on my way into MARS.

It was perfect timing! I got three C. cyanurus and one wild type Axie and one melanoid.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Excellent! Get them interested young! I'm sure we saw you guys, I always notice kids! We chose to leave our little monsters with a sitter that day, but they have attended other shows with us.

I had on a green T with sea turtles on the front and my husband was wearing an orange polo with white stripes.

I know! I wish I had a better camera too! Mine just doesn't do them or my axolotls justice. Of course, that may not be entirely the camera's fault in my case! lol

Wow! Great find! I saw that ad but too late...I'm glad you were able to provide a new home for some of his.

The show is a pretty good drive for us...probably you too! We do try to go every year though. Have a good one!

JWERNER

Reaction score
Excellent! Get them interested young! I'm sure we saw you guys, I always notice kids! We chose to leave our little monsters with a sitter that day, but they have attended other shows with us.

I had on a green T with sea turtles on the front and my husband was wearing an orange polo with white stripes.

I know! I wish I had a better camera too! Mine just doesn't do them or my axolotls justice. Of course, that may not be entirely the camera's fault in my case! lol

Wow! Great find! I saw that ad but too late...I'm glad you were able to provide a new home for some of his.

The show is a pretty good drive for us...probably you too! We do try to go every year though. Have a good one!

It was about 3 hours. I'm used to Hamburg which was only 25-30 minutes away from where I used to live. The ride was very interesting though. Lots of funny random WTH's!

Like a BATEMAN FOR SHERIF sign that was turned into a BAT MAN FOR SHERIF sign and a moped on the bay bridge with a passenger facing backwords holding on for dear life.

Oh, and lets not forget to mention the multiple turn arounds cause Map Quest has no clue and driving in Baltimore was a task in its own especially with a cooler holding a pair of Axies in the back and the steep hills:rolleyes:

JWERNER

Reaction score
Today I put him in a more sterile environment. Its my black on black quarantine tank:wacko:

He was kinda stressed out and his gills were turning deep purple. He is doing much better in this tank and Im going to keep him in here with the addition of some pvc at least till I get the 20 long set up for him.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• DSC02005 (Large).JPG
    DSC02005 (Large).JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 860
  • DSC02011 (Large).JPG
    DSC02011 (Large).JPG
    84 KB · Views: 708
  • DSC02015 (Large).JPG
    DSC02015 (Large).JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 542

JWERNER

Reaction score
Thanks Ken. I cant wait to get some more but of my own this time:D

In that first pick in the QT you can see he is begging for my son to feed him.

JWERNER

Reaction score
As much as I wanted to keep this tank bare and as sterile as possible for now I had to put some sand in. He wasn't really getting a good hold and was stressed out a bit.

This guy loves chopped shrimp!

Attachments

• DSC02084.jpg
    DSC02084.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 418
  • DSC02087.jpg
    DSC02087.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC02096.jpg
    DSC02096.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 323
  • DSC02104.jpg
    DSC02104.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 361

zoezakella

Reaction score
wow he's amazing love the markings on him and his lovely long gills!!! Without sounding stupid as I am fairly new to the axie world what is the difference between axies and a . andersoni?

Good luck with him sure he will be very happy

dragonlady

Reaction score
I like the sand! It looks great. He really has some nice long gills too! He looks like one very happy Andersoni! :D

sek

Reaction score
Oh beautiful andersoni, the sand looks really good against him and makes all of his beautiful markings stand out. My wild type mexicanum hates barebottom and it stresses him out a lot, yet my leucistic loves it. So wonderfully different.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
In theory, yes, it should be perfectly possible, but why would anyone want to do such a stupid thing??

Ah..wait, yes...money....

JWERNER

Reaction score
Does anyone know if A. andersoni and axolotls can be interbred?

Yes they can and it has been done for scientific purposes if I can recall.

Personally I don't see any profit in hybridizing the two. Both are so similar in characteristics. I love my Axies but I also prefer the funny face and the stubby toes of the Andersoni,... hybridizing for that fact is stupid IMO.

EDIT: I guess someone could find value in a hybrid if traits of Albino or Melanoid Axie were to show in a Andersoni but I still prefer the natural beauty of the animal.

Last edited:

firesalamander

Reaction score
Yes yes, It would be very stupid to cross breed them. But this question came up after i read a post on these "silver dalmatian" axolotls on kingsnake. And i was wondering if this could be some sort of cross breed?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1