Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl Concerns

SaltyFishHipser

Reaction score
I just got this little lady yesterday, but lately I've been feeling stressed over how she's been acting and how she looks. It would be great if someone who is more experienced with axolotls (I've only been possessing one for 2 years now, and this new one is my second).
According to the breeder, she is a female white albino who is 1 1/2 years old. I named her Suki.

First, I'm concerned with the shape of her gills, despite looking fluffy, they seem really short and almost choppy looking. Is this normal? Is it just a genetic thing? They kinda look choppy, like they were nipped off. Will they ever grow longer?

Second she is overall dwarfed compared to my first axolotl, Pyro. Pyro is around 10 inches and looks absolutely rotund, with a very large head. She is only 3 inches longer than Suki, but is almost twice the height of her. I try to feed Suki earthworms every day to get her a little bit more beefy, but she seems to be picky and eats like a bird. Should that also be a concern??

Lastly, I feel like she is not actually a female. I look under her tail and I see a small bulge, I don't want to be "that person" and question the breeder that's been doing this far longer than I have, but I've been told that any size bump at the cloaca area will mean that it's a male. Could someone double check? Is she actually a female, or was I juped out of my money and bought a male instead??

-o2vsZc8VJ7S2sTxO-3DLKSrc__EtaKENr1KbirU8_XM70zncHQ-9yCmumZYj72yp2I4AhiJxQ-gH-0WLCEPET5Iy9FnEjOtxydwgs0V-4RbBTSyhltI1tC3VZnUvZLF4r9Bm5xL

PlkHBn97ILKSpu0PYtsKIyS1l2BYBFUcwRuIT6ZS1WrynDECE1HkrJga47MQ7J3j8NpV94iutsEtMzqumwugogpVauDuVapq-JvNym4wNtyOEVLl_2VvuFBnN_3ZdoCnofeq3DRG
F02B4796-D1F4-464A-9B37-E5C3A2153359.jpeg

Last edited:

SaltyFishHipser

Reaction score
UPDATE: It has been a week since I received Suki and all she had eaten in the past 7 days was five small food pellets and and roughly two centimetres of a worm tail. I tried feeding her small morsels of earthworm today and no luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1