Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Salamandra, S.algira splendens

FrogEyes

Reaction score
In a review of Moroccan amphibians published tomorrow, the Rif and mid-Atlas population of the Salamandra algira complex is described as S.algira splendens. This population has previously been identified as distinct from all other named forms in the North African species complex.

In addition, the divergent Moroccan green toad, "Pseudepidalea" brongersmai is assigned its own genus, Barbarophryne.

http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2013/f/z03661p060f.pdf
WOUTER BEUKEMA, PHILIP DE POUS, DAVID DONAIRE-BARROSO, SERGÉ BOGAERTS, JOAN GARCIA-PORTA, DANIEL ESCORIZA, OSCAR J. ARRIBAS, EL HASSAN EL MOUDEN & SALVADOR CARRANZA, 2013. Review of the systematics, distribution, biogeography and natural history of Moroccan amphibians. Zootaxa 3661(1):1-60.

Not yet available free.​

Blackbun

Reaction score
I would be very interested in reading more about this sub species can you direct me to some literature please?

FrogEyes

Reaction score
You can pick and choose your sources, as well as discover some of those which are available for free, with a Google Scholar search. Search for key words 'salamandra splendens pdf' and you should mainly find academic papers including this subspecies, in pdf format. Don't use quotation marks, and you need not include algira [within Salamandra, only Salamandra algira can have a subspecies "splendens"] For that matter, you MIGHT find a couple of extra sources if you omit "pdf", but most useful references are available in pdf format.

Blackbun

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I've found some literature via straight forward Google but will try adding with your recommendations. I have this subspecies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1