New setup (Ambystoma tigrinum)

Sven

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I recently changed the setup of the tank for my tigersalamander wich is 80x30x40cm, I have put in a bigger waterbowl and now use sphagnum moss as a substrate instead of humus wich sticked to my salamanders skin.:(

I did post pictures but apperently something went wrong. If everything is allright they should be visible now.:confused:

Attachments

• DSCN0516.jpg
    DSCN0516.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 3,509
I have to upload them seperately because the pictures are too big so here's pic2.

Attachments

• DSCN0518.jpg
    DSCN0518.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,739
picture 3

Attachments

• DSCN0521.jpg
    DSCN0521.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 1,354
...and picture 4: the tigersalamander;)

Attachments

• DSCN0529.jpg
    DSCN0529.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 549
Humus is a food, not a substrate. Also I would frequetly check the ph on the spaghnum moss. It is know too be to acidic.

Humus is a food, not a substrate.

:rofl::lol::ha::bowl:

Humus = dark, upper layer of soil rich in organic material

also

Hummus (note the 2 m) = mediterranean recipe, a paste made from chick peas with sesame oil and garlic

I'm hazarding a guess that Sven used the first kind as a substrate for his tiger salamander, although if anyone ever keeps me in a terrarium, I should prefer the second (please add some sun-dried tomato and basil, and I like some nice fresh-baked bread with my hummus).

Last edited:
Your tank looks great Sven, but you can use a much cheaper (Yes I'm Dutch) substrate like coconut fiber. You can probably buy this at Hornbach (here we can), but make sure it's 100% coconut. I'm talking about the potting soil and not about the bricks you have to mix with water. Before I put it into use I leave the bag open to dry for a couple of days. If you've just openend the bag the soil is a bit too moist and can smell nasty.

Thanks for the tip Niels, I will remember that. Because, like you say it's a bit expensive to use all that sphagnum moss.

Your guest looks quite pleased! That back wall is dynamite--is it 2D or 3D?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back