Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New setup (Ambystoma tigrinum)

Sven

Reaction score
I recently changed the setup of the tank for my tigersalamander wich is 80x30x40cm, I have put in a bigger waterbowl and now use sphagnum moss as a substrate instead of humus wich sticked to my salamanders skin.:(

Sven

Reaction score
I did post pictures but apperently something went wrong. If everything is allright they should be visible now.:confused:

Attachments

• DSCN0516.jpg
    DSCN0516.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 3,499

Sven

Reaction score
I have to upload them seperately because the pictures are too big so here's pic2.

Attachments

• DSCN0518.jpg
    DSCN0518.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,735

Sven

Reaction score
picture 3

Attachments

• DSCN0521.jpg
    DSCN0521.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 1,348

Sven

Reaction score
...and picture 4: the tigersalamander;)

Attachments

• DSCN0529.jpg
    DSCN0529.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 545

desertiguana

Reaction score
Humus is a food, not a substrate. Also I would frequetly check the ph on the spaghnum moss. It is know too be to acidic.

Molch

Reaction score
Humus is a food, not a substrate.

:rofl::lol::ha::bowl:

Humus = dark, upper layer of soil rich in organic material

also

Hummus (note the 2 m) = mediterranean recipe, a paste made from chick peas with sesame oil and garlic

I'm hazarding a guess that Sven used the first kind as a substrate for his tiger salamander, although if anyone ever keeps me in a terrarium, I should prefer the second (please add some sun-dried tomato and basil, and I like some nice fresh-baked bread with my hummus).

Last edited:

Niels D

Reaction score
Your tank looks great Sven, but you can use a much cheaper (Yes I'm Dutch) substrate like coconut fiber. You can probably buy this at Hornbach (here we can), but make sure it's 100% coconut. I'm talking about the potting soil and not about the bricks you have to mix with water. Before I put it into use I leave the bag open to dry for a couple of days. If you've just openend the bag the soil is a bit too moist and can smell nasty.

Sven

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Niels, I will remember that. Because, like you say it's a bit expensive to use all that sphagnum moss.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!