Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New T Shanjing!!

KingPum

Reaction score
Still trying to learn the needs completely. It's never good to impulse buy, haha. From what I understand it doesn't need light, around 78F is a good temp, and half dry/half wet is good for the substrate. He's about 8 cm long.

Mandarin3.jpg

Mandarin2.jpg

Mandarin1.jpg

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say 78F is the upper end of the temperature range. Your setup looks decent, but I'd suggest replacing the sphagnum with other kinds of hides, such as bark or live houseplant cuttings.

KingPum

Reaction score
Ah alright. I moved the enclosure outside where it's currently 58F. I'm in San Diego so the temperature doesn't fluctuate too much.

KingPum

Reaction score
Upgraded his enclosure! It's at least triple the size of his old one. He hasn't come out of that log for 2 days now. I'm hoping a constant-below 60 degree weather isn't affecting him. Just kinda sucks he'll probably only be hungry once a week.

Attachments

• Mandarin1.jpg
    Mandarin1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 340
  • Mandarin2.jpg
    Mandarin2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 288

eldaldo

Reaction score
Not a Tylotriton keeper, but I can tell you that your new and improved tank looks so much better. But you're gonna want to hear that from someone who knows T. shanjing better than me. Nice newt by the way!

freves

Reaction score
Overall that is a very nice looking enclosure. It is difficult to tell from the photograph however is that sphagnum moss acting as a cover over the substrate or is it the substrate itself? Also, I hope that the tank cover pictured is not what you plan to use. That looks easily escapable. Your water container is probably fine however if it were me I would provide a slightly larger one (personal preference).
Chip

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would personally ditch the sphagnum moss as you risk lowering the ph to potentially lethal levels. A great idea for a replacement is leaf litter (free from most woods and forests!). 60 F is fine although I find that tylos tend to go off their food at temperatures much lower than that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1