Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt wasteland in Los Angeles also Hello!

soulection

Reaction score
Hello everyone I've just finished building a paludarium with a waterfall and have been looking for newts at literally all of the pet stores around me and they tell me newts and salamanders are illegal to import or something like that please excuse my ignorance on this topic but if anyone could give me a few tips on where I could adopt/buy newts or even salamanders I'd greatly appreciate it thank you beautiful people.

track43

Reaction score
Tell me about it. I've been looking in LA for several months now. There will be a reptile convention in Victorville in the end of June. I'll hope to drive out and find something then. Also, there will be the big reptile convention in LA in August. And of course, as Otterwoman said, there's the FS section.

Crazy that there are so few breeders in CA.

Good luck!

Snakebytes4324

Reaction score
Haven't seen really any amphibians besides dart frogs for sale in southern California. The last time I saw one at an LPS was in 2014 or 2015. There was a trade ban where it is illegal to import salamanders. One time I have seen a marbled salamander at the Pomona reptile expo, nice to see also since its illegal to possess I believe in California because it's apart of the Ambystoma family. If you want to see some newts/salamanders I guess you'll just have to travel up north, there's nothing here in Southern California.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1