Newts for a 10 gallon

emmyk

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there! I was wondering if you guys could suggest me some interesting species for my 10 gallon. I can add land if needed. Here is the tank:
879410e40f86e39ae27fd8ea1593141f.jpg

If plants were added, you could probably have a group of C. pyrrhogaster, H. orientalis(if you can find CB), maybe Neurergus sp., and maybe a single P. waltl.

If plants were added, you could probably have a group of C. pyrrhogaster, H. orientalis(if you can find CB), maybe Neurergus sp., and maybe a single P. waltl.
I could happily add plants. Hmm. I'll have to research those. The only caudate I have is an axolotl.

You should change the substrate, other than that and filling it chock full of plants, it should be fine for any small bodied species.

You should change the substrate, other than that and filling it chock full of plants, it should be fine for any small bodied species.
It's sand, can they still get impacted?:(

Well, that's pretty coarse sand from the looks of it. I can see individual particles and that's not good. What you want is VERY fine silica sand.
Also, the stones are going to make maintenance a pain, i would strongly recommend going with a simpler, more practical tank if this is going to be your first newt tank.

I agree with what Aaron said, those are good starter species and will fit the tank. But all Neurergus species are banned in Washington, so are very, very many species. You can legally keep any Tylototriton, Cynops, Salamandra, Pleurodeles, or Hypselotriton, to name the legal Genus that are more commonly found for sale CB.
You could also do CB Taricha granulosa, but probably only one or two, and they are harder to find CB.-Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back