Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newts for a 10 gallon

emmyk

Reaction score
Hi there! I was wondering if you guys could suggest me some interesting species for my 10 gallon. I can add land if needed. Here is the tank:
879410e40f86e39ae27fd8ea1593141f.jpg

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
If plants were added, you could probably have a group of C. pyrrhogaster, H. orientalis(if you can find CB), maybe Neurergus sp., and maybe a single P. waltl.

emmyk

Reaction score
If plants were added, you could probably have a group of C. pyrrhogaster, H. orientalis(if you can find CB), maybe Neurergus sp., and maybe a single P. waltl.
I could happily add plants. Hmm. I'll have to research those. The only caudate I have is an axolotl.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You should change the substrate, other than that and filling it chock full of plants, it should be fine for any small bodied species.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well, that's pretty coarse sand from the looks of it. I can see individual particles and that's not good. What you want is VERY fine silica sand.
Also, the stones are going to make maintenance a pain, i would strongly recommend going with a simpler, more practical tank if this is going to be your first newt tank.

sde

Reaction score
I agree with what Aaron said, those are good starter species and will fit the tank. But all Neurergus species are banned in Washington, so are very, very many species. You can legally keep any Tylototriton, Cynops, Salamandra, Pleurodeles, or Hypselotriton, to name the legal Genus that are more commonly found for sale CB.
You could also do CB Taricha granulosa, but probably only one or two, and they are harder to find CB.-Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!