Next step for cycling

Phoenix2016

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I am/will continue to review the online guides for cycling, but sometimes for me it is hard to translate the info into real life. So I’d like to know if I should do a partial water change at this point or not.

12 hours ago the parameters were as follows: (I do realize I should wait 12 hours more, and will do so, but hopefully I’ll already have an answer by then)
Ph- 7.2
Ammonia- 2
Nitrite- 1
Nitrate- 10

I added Fishless Fuel to bring ammonia back up to 4 (was that the right thing to do?)

Today, halfway through parameters are as follows:
Ph- 7.2
Ammonia- 4
Nitrite- 2
Nitrate- 20

I know not to add ammonia until it goes down again, but since the Nitrates went up do I do a water change?

Do I add anymore QuickStart?

What if the Ammonia doesn’t go back down- I do think I’m supposed to give that a few days, is that right?

Thank you for your help and patience. I have a bit of a learning disorder, and while I’m committed, I didn’t know cycling would be so complicated.

A friend did give me tank water she cleaned out, but not as much as I was hoping for. I was all excited to get her old filter, but she rinsed it with tap water so I threw it away. :(

I feel less rushed because I got Dart a bigger tub because he was thrashing around, and he seems much happier now, and I gave him an extra filter and change the water lots.

Thanks!!

whilst the tank is cycling don't do a water change unless the nitrates get to 110ppm or higher. keep a eye on the ph if it goes below 7 add enough bicarbonate of soda to bring the ph up to 7.4 - 7.6.
just test daily and bringing the ammonia up to 4ppm, until the ammonia and nitrite are both zero when tested after a 24hr period.

whilst the tank is cycling don't do a water change unless the nitrates get to 110ppm or higher. keep a eye on the ph if it goes below 7 add enough bicarbonate of soda to bring the ph up to 7.4 - 7.6.
just test daily and bringing the ammonia up to 4ppm, until the ammonia and nitrite are both zero when tested after a 24hr period.
That is exactly the kind of direction I needed. Thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back