• Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!
  • Welcome to Caudata.org, the Newt & Salamander Information Portal.

    We are the longest running community for amphibian enthusiasts on the Internet. Our primary goal is the sharing of information on the maintenance and breeding of newts and salamanders in captivity.

    Right now you are viewing our community as a guest. This gives you limited access to our forum and resources. For example, your ability to view conversations in our "Advanced Topics" section is restricted, and guests can view but not respond to "for sale" or "want" ads. Join our free community and get full access, post questions, your own photo albums, message other members, and other features. Registration is fast, simple and totally free so please, click the register link today! Problem? Please use the contact link at the bottom of the page.

    For care info, Caudata Culture is the site for you. Axolotls? The Axolotl Site is the best on the net.

Obese Tiger

drummajor08

New member
Joined
May 7, 2007
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New Mexico
Country
United States
Display Name
Haley S.
I'm really not sure if I can say where this guy is from without getting "in trouble", but I took these pictures yesterday. Maybe this isn't the worst case I've seen, but I still cringed when I saw him.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 9,800
  • IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 6,176
Other than being aquatic (which is bad), it looks normal to me.
 
Hey Haley, take a look at the caresheet for Tiger salamanders. caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml
 
Why would you get in trouble? From the frame around the tank, I'm guessing it's at a zoo or nature center of some kind. That's a seriously fat tiger, and sad to see it kept aquatic like that. But I know from working on exhibits... it's not easy to exhibit tiger sals in a terrestrial setup, they just stay hidden all the time.
 
You really think it looks that fat? The first picture is more of an optical illusion, as the split between air and water makes the tiger look MUCH wider than it really is. If you look at the top-down view, you can see most of the costal ridges. If you look at the side view, you can see a gap between the water surface and the back of the tiger, behind the head. Again, the costal ridges are apparent, and look normal to me.
 
I'm going to have to side with Kaysie here.
 
Yeah, it's totally at the Albuquerque Zoo. And as for the optical illusion, there isn't one. It looks fine from the side, but it's about 3 and half inches wide. The other one isn't this big, though.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back
    Top