Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Odd Grey Tree Frog Symptoms

TheMagnusEffect

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

A few days ago the largest of my Grey's started behaving oddly. It appeared to have no control over its left arm. Also, its pupils dont dilate- they are constantly small slits. He's now moving around fine but his eyes still aren't dilating (see pic). Anyone know what this means?

Attachments

• grey.jpg
    grey.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 4,841

Socrates

Reaction score
What do you mean exactly he is has no control over his arm? Also have you tried placing him in a dark place and then in a light place to see if his pupils change shape?

TheMagnusEffect

Reaction score
What do you mean exactly he is has no control over his arm? Also have you tried placing him in a dark place and then in a light place to see if his pupils change shape?
His left arm was limp - basically dead weight.
And I've checked his pupils in day and night and they seem to be no different.

Socrates

Reaction score
Hmmm, is his left arm better now? One thing that comes to mind is that maybe he injured his left limb somehow, but i think it may have to do something with his nervous system. By the looks of his eyes and them not dilating makes me think a possible seizure occurred or something is blocking some synapse in the brain/neurons. First tell me what the conditions of his cage where before the symptoms first occured and how long ago it was since you changed the water and the condition of the water? Hope he/she starts getting better.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I too think it's a nervous system issue - the limp arm in combination with the involuntary narrowing of the pupils seem too coincidental for it to be anything else. However as to what caused this, it's anyone's guess. I'm not sure if frogs can have strokes but it might be possible - is it an old frog? The other possibility I can think of is disease - some diseases can result in nervous system problems, but the disease is usually apparent long before the frog starts to have nervous system issues.

Regarding the age, the larger the frog (within a gender), the older the frog is, usually.

Socrates

Reaction score
Yes that's true that a disease could do something like this to a frog. I do know that it is possible for frogs to have seizures occur due to toxins. I can't remember off the top of my head what the technical term for this is, but i know it can be caused by toxins in their water dish. Not only that, but the toxins can be from too much urea to some heavy metal. And the end result is similar to a stroke in a human, with blindness and/or loss of movement of limbs etc. I feel bad for this little frog.:(

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you got a photo of the vivarium? I actually got a pair of Grays yesterday (collected a female on her way to a pond, and a male calling at a pond).

TheMagnusEffect

Reaction score
Here's a pic of their home. I've been using store-bought spring water for their dish.

Attachments

• IMG_0031s.jpg
    IMG_0031s.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 859

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. What size tank is that and what are the plants? Do they have a water area? Ever try to breed them? Also, what do you do about the loudness of the males?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
This is my male (photo was taken before I grabbed him off his tree).

file.php

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have any vivarium photos from the front as well please?

TheMagnusEffect

Reaction score
The tank is just a standard 10 gal. The plants include two "spider plants", something from petsmart, and moss from my backyard. There's a water dish in the back center of the tank. As for breeding and/or calling noise, they're only 1.5 years old (I think it takes 2 years?) and haven't reached maturity yet, but I would like to try breeding them once they get there.

Pic from the front...

Attachments

• IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 756

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice tank! What do you feed them?

TheMagnusEffect

Reaction score
They were raised on fruit flies when they were too small to eat anything else. Nowadays they get mostly crickets with an occasional waxworm every once in a while.

vincent

Reaction score

they're only 1.5 years old (I think it takes 2 years?) and haven't reached maturity yet,

Hi bred mine this year they aren't one yet the female that bred was captive bred last year2008:eek: masses of spawn if you feed them well no problem ;) hope youare successful breeding them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1