Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Only one larvae

D

david

I obtained a group of six Fire Salamanders and two of the females looked ready to pop. I put the biggest one in a small tank w/ water and a rock. She dropped one larvae. After 4 days there were no more. I have been rotating the bigger females through the tank and no more. On a good note it has been more than 3 weeks and the little guy is huge maybe 7 centimeters. what should I do for it in preparation for morphing?

D

david

Make sure he has an easy way for it to climb out of the water. Fire sal larvae can drown pretty easily. The only thing else you need is patience.

D

david

Should I continue to put the females in the water tank? They seem to be quite annoyed at the experience.

F

francesco

I would leave a shallow dish of water permanently if the animals are sexually mature.

D

david

cool I do that but it is so shallow the young would be stomped and floundering, maybe I need a deeper dish.

F

francesco

2cm depth is all right if you're removing them as soon as they're dropped.If you make it too deep you risk drowning the salamanders.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!