Our first Newt has morphed

Mokomoko

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Danni & Andrea
Finally our first CFB newt has morphed, we are amazed at how dark their skin goes.

is there any info in regard to the tank setup that we should know? (lower the tank water etc....)

Attachments

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Heather Jewett
Congratulations! I think this is one of the most fun parts of newt ownership.
There are a variety of ways to house newly morphed orientalis, but I prefer the most simple set up - a plastic shoe box with damp, unbleached paper towels, java moss for them to hide in/under, and a shallow dish for water. I like this set up because its really easy to keep clean and feed them, but others have had success with other methods, too. This article should help: Caudata Culture Articles - Raising Juvenile Newts
With what ever set up you decide to go with I wish you the best of luck.
Heather

fire_newt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Congratulations! That is one cute kido! Along with Heather Jewetts link I would like to add that there has been speculation of semi-aquatic juvies growing and maturing faster then juvies raised terrestrial set-ups

eminem

Reaction score
Country
Canada
thats adorable ahaha and tank looks great to me!

AngieD

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Angie
Mine morphed last night, got a shock when I got home from work and found him dry at the top of the slope, stuck to the plastic! I took the water and most of the stones out of the tub, and put wet paper towels in there, hopefully it will keep him moist enough until I get home today.
Going to get some bloodworms tonight, and see if I can coax him into eating them

Mokomoko

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Danni & Andrea
thanks everyone :)

Thats cool Angie D, I've given mine a white worm but blood worms might be better??

you will have to post a pic :)

AngieD

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Angie
I will try to post a pic when I've figured out how to on here, I was getting confused about how to do it. I have taken a picture or 2 on my phone, but my boyfriend is going to bring his camera over tomorrow and take some sharper looking pics of him. However, my internet access is sporadic at the moment, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to post.

As far as I know, white worms are fine for them, I'm giving mine bloodworms because that's what the local aquatics shop sells.

Did yours start eating straight after morphing? Mine hasn't looked interested in the worms I offered him, but I doon't know if he's been eating them when I'm not watching him.

Mokomoko

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Danni & Andrea
sweet will be cool to see it, one of my daughters was looking at our tank and realised that another one had morphed :D

as for eating, the first one to morph didn't eat for a few days but the latest one had a worm almost straight away.
i have read that they can sometimes go for more than a few weeks without eating.

Oh and i have a question for everybody, We have 2 morphed newts and 5 that are still have at least a couple of weeks to go till they morph by the look of them. Now what i would like to know is what should i be doing about the water level in my tank? I know some of you might suggest separate them but is there anyway i can get around that?? I really want to keep them in the same enclosure.

hope someone can help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AlexisJG:
    As long as they don’t seem stressed that’s good and I mean hey if their well fed maybe they’ll live long happy lives together.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    oh ya they are happy xD every time i come in to my room my Koy betta is like HI HI HI and actively swimming around
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nerodia1:
    Děkuji za přijetí. Hledám tohoto obojživelníka, Typhlonectes compressicauda, nevíte, kde ho získat, nejlépe někde v Evropě.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Caudex has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    VEEK has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    My axie is acting woerd he was a rescue as stated in a different post he got better and now seems to be deteriorating again...again all tank conditions are OK and as should be. He seems to have some black dapple like pattern under his bottom lip? Is that normal? And his two back feet have a little wierd growth? Almost? Tiny tiny tiny lump. His capillaries in his feathers also appear darker and more visible. Any help would be appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    Hes a leucistic axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AmphibiGirl has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dibgame:
    Hey guys. First time on this forum and im not sure what formatting i should use but hey here i go.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    Hi! I'm being in a hard position where I have to re-home my axolotls. I'm moving out and I would like to find them a new home with someone who can take proper care of them
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    I have an adult wild type and a juvenile leucistc
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • BigAl:
    Oops my bad accidentally sent that
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    @HalfDrunkToastLol
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    is anyone online???
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    Are you still here
    +1
    Unlike
  • ZayneSantos:
    Is there anyone on who can give me advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Max2445:
    @ZayneSantos, What advice do you need
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    based on this video what type of salamander might this larva be? I suspect either eastern newt or spotted salamander
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    help appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    they are from missouri
    +1
    Unlike
    KrabzAga: they are from missouri +1