Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Our first Newt has morphed

Mokomoko

Reaction score
Finally our first CFB newt has morphed, we are amazed at how dark their skin goes.

is there any info in regard to the tank setup that we should know? (lower the tank water etc....)

Attachments

• P1060929.JPG
    P1060929.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 231

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Congratulations! I think this is one of the most fun parts of newt ownership.
There are a variety of ways to house newly morphed orientalis, but I prefer the most simple set up - a plastic shoe box with damp, unbleached paper towels, java moss for them to hide in/under, and a shallow dish for water. I like this set up because its really easy to keep clean and feed them, but others have had success with other methods, too. This article should help: Caudata Culture Articles - Raising Juvenile Newts
With what ever set up you decide to go with I wish you the best of luck.
Heather

fire_newt

Reaction score
Congratulations! That is one cute kido! Along with Heather Jewetts link I would like to add that there has been speculation of semi-aquatic juvies growing and maturing faster then juvies raised terrestrial set-ups

Mokomoko

Reaction score
this is what we have gone for for now, I quickly whipped up the screen lids so the little fella cant escape :)

Attachments

• P1060939.JPG
    P1060939.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 194
  • P1060943.JPG
    P1060943.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 186
  • P1060947.JPG
    P1060947.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 204
  • P1060948.JPG
    P1060948.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 197
  • P1060942.JPG
    P1060942.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 212

AngieD

Reaction score
Mine morphed last night, got a shock when I got home from work and found him dry at the top of the slope, stuck to the plastic! I took the water and most of the stones out of the tub, and put wet paper towels in there, hopefully it will keep him moist enough until I get home today.
Going to get some bloodworms tonight, and see if I can coax him into eating them

Mokomoko

Reaction score
thanks everyone :)

Thats cool Angie D, I've given mine a white worm but blood worms might be better??

you will have to post a pic :)

AngieD

Reaction score
I will try to post a pic when I've figured out how to on here, I was getting confused about how to do it. I have taken a picture or 2 on my phone, but my boyfriend is going to bring his camera over tomorrow and take some sharper looking pics of him. However, my internet access is sporadic at the moment, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to post.

As far as I know, white worms are fine for them, I'm giving mine bloodworms because that's what the local aquatics shop sells.

Did yours start eating straight after morphing? Mine hasn't looked interested in the worms I offered him, but I doon't know if he's been eating them when I'm not watching him.

Mokomoko

Reaction score
sweet will be cool to see it, one of my daughters was looking at our tank and realised that another one had morphed :D

as for eating, the first one to morph didn't eat for a few days but the latest one had a worm almost straight away.
i have read that they can sometimes go for more than a few weeks without eating.

Oh and i have a question for everybody, We have 2 morphed newts and 5 that are still have at least a couple of weeks to go till they morph by the look of them. Now what i would like to know is what should i be doing about the water level in my tank? I know some of you might suggest separate them but is there anyway i can get around that?? I really want to keep them in the same enclosure.

hope someone can help.

Mokomoko

Reaction score
and this little fella will morph tonight i think.....

Attachments

• P1070011.JPG
    P1070011.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 164
  • P1070017.JPG
    P1070017.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 176
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!