Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pachytriton article help

Logan

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
For those of you who don't know me my name is Logan Benedict. I am a student to SIUC and will soon finish my degree in zoology. I am currently in a class called conservation aquaria and will be writing up an article on a plan for successful keeping, breeding, and raising of captive Pachytriton. The idea of this article is that I have unlimited funds and I need to do extensive research on their natural habitat, seasonal variations, and water qualities, etc.

I am certainly not asking anyone to write me a paper but I would love article suggestions or links if you know any. Also for this type of paper I can take testimony of keepers. If possible those of you who have successfully bred and kept this species. Thanks for your time everyone. Oh and I may also throw an exciting picture or two in the paper. Thanks
Logan

sallie2010

Reaction score
I did a paper on breeding zebra fish to educate about mitosis. Did you contact your local zoo or university professor that uses the animal? Here is a site Hanken Lab - Research that you may be able to contact them to do an interview.

Good luck and drink lots of coffee! :)

Logan

Reaction score
Thanks guys, That was very helpful. I have already contacted a few zoos and aquaria that have them listed. I will let you guys know how that goes and hopefully I can get some keeper/breeder testimony. Thanks again
Logan

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Ignoring the confusion of identifying the eight or more species, there is actually a LOT of published information on Chinese salamanders, including the care and breeding of Pachytriton. However, much of that information is in Chinese in regional university journals. I have yet to be inspired to buy a stack of such papers online, and I have no idea where to find these in a library.

The breeding of farmed Pachytriton labiatus--

I'd have to do some double checking, but the species discussed would likely be P.brevipes or P.xanthospilos, not P."labiatus".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!