Pachytriton article help

Logan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone!
For those of you who don't know me my name is Logan Benedict. I am a student to SIUC and will soon finish my degree in zoology. I am currently in a class called conservation aquaria and will be writing up an article on a plan for successful keeping, breeding, and raising of captive Pachytriton. The idea of this article is that I have unlimited funds and I need to do extensive research on their natural habitat, seasonal variations, and water qualities, etc.

I am certainly not asking anyone to write me a paper but I would love article suggestions or links if you know any. Also for this type of paper I can take testimony of keepers. If possible those of you who have successfully bred and kept this species. Thanks for your time everyone. Oh and I may also throw an exciting picture or two in the paper. Thanks
Logan

I did a paper on breeding zebra fish to educate about mitosis. Did you contact your local zoo or university professor that uses the animal? Here is a site Hanken Lab - Research that you may be able to contact them to do an interview.

Good luck and drink lots of coffee! :)

Thanks guys, That was very helpful. I have already contacted a few zoos and aquaria that have them listed. I will let you guys know how that goes and hopefully I can get some keeper/breeder testimony. Thanks again
Logan

Ignoring the confusion of identifying the eight or more species, there is actually a LOT of published information on Chinese salamanders, including the care and breeding of Pachytriton. However, much of that information is in Chinese in regional university journals. I have yet to be inspired to buy a stack of such papers online, and I have no idea where to find these in a library.

The breeding of farmed Pachytriton labiatus--

I'd have to do some double checking, but the species discussed would likely be P.brevipes or P.xanthospilos, not P."labiatus".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back