Pachytriton labiatus

A

anthony

Has anyone kept these before.What is their natural habitat like? Do they like current or still water? What is the max temp or ideal temp? What are some housing requirements?

I bought one last week.It is currently in quarantine.I like it better than I thought I would.It is an awesome eater and already takes food directly from my hand.

Hi Anthony. At least several people on this forum keep them, I believe. Paris does, for sure. I have one too. I've posted pics of it before but can't seem to find them. You can easily find labiatus-related discussions by using the search function on this site
wink.gif
Too bad Caudate Culture doesn't have a caresheet for this species yet...

I don't know anything about their natural habitat other than that they are stream dwellers (from what I've read). I therefore provide them with some current. While I don't know offhand what temperature mine are being kept at, the room temp never exceeds 21C. I can't suggest with any confidence what temp would be ideal, but suffice it to say they need to be kept cool like any other sal. I wouldn't think they're particularly tolerant of high temps. They're often pretty weak from shipping after acquisition, but once they settle down, they prove to be hardy creatures. Keeping more than one together could pose problems as they do show some aggression. Perhaps less aggression if they're kept as a male-female pair or even two females. But I'm just speculating. Anybody care to take it from here?

Best of luck with yours!
biggrin.gif

Enjoy it Tony! I never had any, but from what I hear, they are hardy animals with interesting personalities. Just don't be tempted to add any tankmates, unless you like to see blood.

I have read that even female Pachytritons become aggressive when its breeding season. The species has also been known to fight to the death. The paddle-shaped tail evolved as a consequence of adaptation to their stream environment.
I currently keep one female P. Labiatus in isolation.

I keep P labiatus. They are a very interesting species. Here is an example of how non-shy they are. I put one in a small plastic containter while I was cleaing out the tank. This container was very small, just big enough to hold him for a while, so you think he would not be too comfortable in there. Well, I also put one of the feeder guppies that I had left in there. Within seconds, I glanced back to see only a tail coming out of the newts mouth; he ate it even in that small container.

By the way, from my experience, these are by far the best newts for feeding small guppies and rosies to. They seem to have the most ability for that. But I wouldnt feed him that all the time, obviously.

Oh, and here is a great caresheet. (I hope I am allowed to mention this sight...)
http://www.livingunderworld.org/caudata/database/salamandridae/pachytriton/

Hello, all! I've just joined this forum, and I'm excited to see information about paddle-tail newts. I was wondering if any of you guys know the average lifespan for Pachytriton labiatus. I've had mine for about three and a half years, and I was hoping that they're as long-lived as, say, those from Taricha. By the way, I've found that out of all the fire-bellied newts I've kept, the paddle-tail newts have a great potential for becoming really tame. Mine comes out when it's hungry and eats various dry foods right out of a pair of plastic feeding tweezers.

Welcome, Rose. Estimates of lifespan aren't very accurate, and you never know what age the animal is when you get it. But I've heard of paddletails living over 10 years. Good luck with yours!

my one has lived for at least 10 years with it's previous owner

I am thinking of acquiring a pair to inhabit a 20 gal tank, just found out that the newts in the pet store are paddle tails, don't worry they are healthy and have been so for about a month (at least)
Demon

I have just recently got some of them... in the hope of getting a pair, Great newts.
I have set up their tank with a lot of caves and plants and have tried to reduce the 'line of sight' within the tank as much as possible....

24860.jpg

hey people, id just like to ask if anyone could confirm what my pet newt is, i've had him/her for ten years now of which was a present when i was 7. i was wondering if anyone could reasure me its a p.labiatus. he/she is about 5-7inches long, brown with an orange underbelly of which has spots. he/she has also many times changed a sort of translusent pale colour with dots all over, then changes back. my newt looks identical to Colins picture but the patturn underneath is different(as i've mentioned)is my newt a p.labiatus?

pachytriton can vary a lot in belly colouration, for instance, mine has virtually no orange on the belly. So i would say you have a pachytriton, a picture would really help!

I wish I could get a one. They are so Beautiful. BTW, that is a great picture! Have fun!

cheers guy i've been trying to find out what he is for ages but now im certain he a p.labiatus
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back