Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pet Litoria Frogs

FireStar

Reaction score
I have pet Green and Golden Bell Frogs, Litoria aurea, and South Bell Frogs, Litoria raniformis, and I imagine a few hybrids. They all came from the same pond as tadpoles, bar one. My frog set up cost me nothing. My grandfather gave me an old fish tank with a crack. Even though we tried to repair it, it still leaks. Anyway, I use my mum's casserole dish as their swimming pool. Easy to take out, clean and refill:eek:.

But lately, when the frogs swim, they kick all the water out of the pool making the entire tank water logged. I go through a roll of paper towels a week trying to absorb all the water back out and I'm afraid that the tank might start leaking.

Does anyone have tips/advice on how to stop my tank being water logged? A full clean out is an option but I don't think it would solve the problem.

Quick question, with so much water everywhere, can the frogs develop a fungal infection?

esn

Reaction score
Most people use a layer of hydro balls (clay balls, should come up on google user hydro balls for terrariums) or gravel at the least a few inches deep, then mesh between that and your normal substrate. It collects the excess water at the bottom of the tank, keeping your substrate from getting too wet. I know coco fiber turns into a lovely soup sometimes if the water doesn't drain properly. The best solution is to redo the tank to add hydro balls and mesh.

There are also DIY projects for false bottoms, but that's all a little too complex for me. The other method is easier.

FireStar

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of hydro balls. It took me ages to find someone that sold them in NZ. I'm planning to get a (much needed) bigger tank so redo it is not a problem.

So was thinking, a layer of hydro balls, then a layer of sand (filtration), then a layer of potting mix (for planting stuff) and then a layer of Sphagnum moss. I can't find any live moss so would the dead stuff used in hanging baskets work?

I also had a look at the false bottom thing. They look so cool! But maybe a project of another time. And yes, it looks like a very complicated:p

esn

Reaction score
As long as the dead moss isn't dyed, I don't see why not. I usually use moss from my area, as a lot of it grows here in the rainy NW of the U.S. Pet stores or gardening centers will usually sell bags of moss as well, but make sure it isn't dyed.

FireStar

Reaction score
My local pets stores and gardening centres don't sell live moss. Nor does my local auction site, save the stuff for hanging baskets. I tried growing moss in my tank that I found in my garden, but doesn't work out.

Everything I try to grow in the tank dies :eek:
Do you have any suggestions for plant life?

And I really appreciate all the help and advice you're giving me Elena!:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!