Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pics of taricha granulosa

Followgravity

Reaction score
Found six of these yesterday around a pond near my house took my phone back today to get some pics and only found this guy
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362200096.688212.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362200121.737270.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362200149.186050.jpg
I'm pretty sure they are granulosa not torosa because he is curling his tail in the unken reflex... But a second opinion on that would be greatly appreciated

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That guy is really dark. It might be rivularis. It's definitely not torosa, but 'unken' has nothing to do with that. Torosa have a pale under-eye line, and the margin between ventral and dorsal coloration is very blurry. Granulosa have dark eyeliner, and a very sharp margin.

Rivularis, however, are usually very dark where torosa and granulosa are more mud-brown. You're also within range for rivularis.

Followgravity

Reaction score
Good to know I was reading about the tail curling thing last night
Other than the darker coloring is there a way to tell the Rivularis from the granulosa? Also how Likely would it be that they are hanging out in the same pond together?

otolith

Reaction score
They are T. granulosa, rivularis have black eyes (no gold in the iris) and are pretty uncommon that far north.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, Perry. If that's the case, those are dark granulosa! They're pretty. I've always wanted some rivularis.

JReed

Reaction score
Thanks for the great photos!

I just wanted to say that my Taricha granulosas ( see attached pics) come in a range of colors: from almost black on top to very light brown on top. The two juveniles I have pictured are actually siblings raised from the same batch of eggs (same mother), yet they have quite different shading. Its interesting how different they can be...which is one reason I think people have difficulty with identification.

But I agree with others here, yours look like T. granulosas to me!

Attachments

• Juvenile sibling Taricha granulosas almost 2 yrs old.jpg
    Juvenile sibling Taricha granulosas almost 2 yrs old.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 401
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!