Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pics

M

mary

MAYBE!!!! oh well if i ever come to england i will smuggle on or two in for you!

K

kim

Dont forget me i would love a freak!

I even adopt things/animals if people dont want them just coz they are odd!

M

mik

Lol --- Yep sorry I'm in UK. But if you can fit Aztec & Freak's offspring in an envelope I won't say no.

Been to Queensland; a few years ago. Great place. Went to Brisbane, Surfer's Paradise and Gold Coast. Even visited that loony Steve Irwins place in Beerah. He wasn't wrestling a giant axie though.

I couldn't do experiments on axies...saucy beggar!

H

heather

here are my uninteresting, not named axolotls
I still love them
love.gif
19885.jpg
picture is kinda big hunh?

J

jenny

is that them as babies and adults r r they dif axys in the pix?

M

mary

Wow they are so cool!!! I hope one of my babies turns out to look like the dark one in the first photo!!! I love it!!! It's thwe coolest!!!!

K

katy

i'm sure i'd love to have one of freak's babies! you'll have to post pics so i can choose the freakiest ;) i've just got more pets recently (rats this time!) so i'm not sure what my boyfriend woulld say to more axolotls, but hey, he'll live :p i definitely need to get me a girl!

M

mary

ok katy, well have to organise it when they are big enough.

If I give you a female, then you can breed it with aztec and then give me one of the female babies and i can breed it with freak - and then we should have heaps of freaks! I think you and I could definently start a trend!!!

But really, I would love to see the out come of aztec and freaks baby, so when they are big enough to tell what they will turn out to look like and when i can tell if it's a girl!!!

K

katy

i don't think you can tell for sure what sex they are til they're pretty big - like 6 or 7 inches.

and don't forget you can always breed freak with one of his own babies!

M

mary

Yeah, I was wondering about that today actually. Are you able to interbreed axolotls - will they turn out deformed or even more freaky than they are already? Is this a safe practice? To breed father and daughter and mother and son, brother and sister????

M

mik

In breeding is gernally used to try and fix a trait in the offspring. When I say fix I don't mean mend I mean to make the common form of the phenotype you are trying to acheive.

If you follow the dog breeding frame of mind then back breeding is typically frowned upon because it does throw up sports or a few unexpected types as well as the desired result.

So yes they will breed sibling to sibling or parent to offspring etc. But it isn't something you want to continue doing. The healthiest population has to have the largest gene pool available.

There is a line that says that nearly all axies in captivity or in labs are decended a couple of early colonies and even more specifically all albinos to the albino tiger in the Paris show of 1890s (I forget the exact year).

Makes you think about the origin of our cute freaks doesn't it?

J

jenny

i read somewhere as well that all golden hamsters originated from one pair that was found in a desert after they thought they were extict...as inbreeding effects intelligence does that mean hamsters could have been real clever b4 the ones bred in captivity from these original two?

same with axys too?

K

katy

inbreeding is fine as long as you outbreed as well. so breed a mother and son, and then next generation would have to be bred to an unrelated axy to keep the genes strong.

M

mary

ok, well i don't want to breed the mother, she's not a freak!!!!! But i understand, just breed freak with one of his female ofspring, then breed one of them with a toltally unrealated axi.

Can i then breed one of them with freak again??? Or one of his other offspring???

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!