Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please Help - Very Thin, Not Eating

CreatureLoverTx8

Reaction score
Hello!

Thank you so much for your help in advance. I am new to this community and salamanders in General. My name is Melissa. I live in El Paso, Texas. Nice to meet you :)

I am currently caring for my friends’ mini zoo. She has 3 salamanders/larval salamanders. She calls the 2 that have not metamorphed “mud puppies” but I am pretty sure they aren’t true mud puppies.

I began caring for them on June 1st. Due to unexpected medical complications, she will be gone until at least November.

The salamander and large mudpuppy are doing well.
The salamander is in a terrestrial habitat and the large mudpuppy is in an aquarium.
The smallest, still a larval salamander, is in a 10 gallon aquarium of his own. The instructions from my friend are to feed them all once a week in Mondays. The Littlest one gets 1 wax worm. At first he would eat from long metal tweezers.
For the past 4 weeks I have struggled to get him to eat. My friend told me to leave the worm floating but then I noticed there were several dead worms rotting on the filter so
I cleaned that and would take them out if he refused food. He has gotten progressively skinnier. He only stays on the top floating there. I text my friend often but due to medical stuff she cannot respond now. I also don’t want to stress her out.

I decided to change his diet after reading here. I tried an earthworm 2 Mondays ago and he ate it and I leapt first joy. Thenlast Monday rolled around and he wouldn’t eat. I am losing sleep over him. He is just not happy. I changed 50 percent of his water last night and pushed his gravel to form a more shallow area he can climb on. He seemed much happier, actually laying on the bottom and in his hide for the first time in weeks as well as swimming. I tried to feed him today. He would not eat again. I took some Of his water to be tested at PetSmart and they said it is high in nitrates and low PH so he is probably stressed. They were not much more helpful.

His gill are small, maybe less than a centimeter long now. His tail isn’t ruffled much but he’s so so thin.

Here are pictures of him as well as the salamander who has transformed. They are from the same clutch of eggs.and the large mudpuppy as well.

please help with any guidance and suggestions. I’m afraid he is starving every day that goes by. He’s such a sweet calm little guy and I want to help him thrive.
Also it is warm here, it’s been in the 105’s and up and his tank sits on the big one’s so I dont know if his water is too warm. I bought a floating thermometer a little while ago at PetSmart.
Thank you so much.

F68C8CD8-BB04-490A-B78C-8242A063FB6E.jpeg
2C018C26-5B72-4A8D-BBAC-A9D56CB07148.jpeg
74564068-1DB5-4AF5-843B-A2DF7FD0201C.jpeg
7947DC49-32AA-4C86-B4D4-F0FA0BFE23D4.jpeg
2BE6514D-DBE6-4139-8F55-C71095AA6575.jpeg
7370F48F-98C8-49DF-93F3-6C6E0C9F9183.jpeg
71D7DD87-D2A9-4EE3-89EA-A87FC619897A.jpeg
F68C8CD8-BB04-490A-B78C-8242A063FB6E.jpeg
2C018C26-5B72-4A8D-BBAC-A9D56CB07148.jpeg
74564068-1DB5-4AF5-843B-A2DF7FD0201C.jpeg
7947DC49-32AA-4C86-B4D4-F0FA0BFE23D4.jpeg
2BE6514D-DBE6-4139-8F55-C71095AA6575.jpeg
7370F48F-98C8-49DF-93F3-6C6E0C9F9183.jpeg
71D7DD87-D2A9-4EE3-89EA-A87FC619897A.jpeg

AuSu

Reaction score
Hi! I'd suggest to feed it small earthworms. Once a week is very low. Could you offer food first every other/third day and later even every day when the digestion system is used to getting food regularly?
Also, I'd take the bottom material away. It seems so small the youngster could swallow it and get problems. You could have bare bottom and add some cheap, floating, easily growing plants to keep the water parameters better. Java fern is slow but easy and you could anchor it on the decoration. Elodea, pistia, something like that!
I hope things get better!
Ps. If it's not an option to buy plants, you could ask some nearby aquarium/newt hobbyists if they have any extra plants to give away!

AuSu

Reaction score
Ps2. Ceratophyllum is also very easy plant and if there's lots of it, the newt can climb on it near the surface.

AuSu

Reaction score
Hi, I just noticed you also told about the temperature. 105 is really hot for them, hopefully the tank isn't that warm. If you have a cool garage or basement in the darker side of the house, you could change them there. It would be beneficial to get the temperature in tank under 75. Here's a care sheet for tiger salamander linked if you haven't already seen it: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander
Here in the forum you can also find discussion about chilling tanks. Unfortunately I can't find it via phone but do a search "cooling tank" or something like that, I think you'll find some help!

CreatureLoverTx8

Reaction score
Hi, I just noticed you also told about the temperature. 105 is really hot for them, hopefully the tank isn't that warm. If you have a cool garage or basement in the darker side of the house, you could change them there. It would be beneficial to get the temperature in tank under 75. Here's a care sheet for tiger salamander linked if you haven't already seen it: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander
Here in the forum you can also find discussion about chilling tanks. Unfortunately I can't find it via phone but do a search "cooling tank" or something like that, I think you'll find some help!
[/QU

Hi again! I’m not sure why I wrote that. I must have made a typo. I am currently tubbing him and his temperature in there is about 72 degrees (Fahrenheit) and the temperature in his tank was about 78 until I made some changes and I’ve brought it down to about 70. He seems to have more energy and is eating little amounts of frozen brine shrimp for 2 days now. I am really hoping he will be okay. I read the cooling guide on here and I am going to try some of the methods mentioned. First the fan blowing over the water. Hopefully that will lower the temp.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1