Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Questions about Sponge Filters

E. Sylvanus

Reaction score
I’ve been planning a naturalistic display tank for a while, and I have run into the inevitable problem: hiding the sponge filter. This tank is a 29 gallon, and I was thinking of doing a shoreline along the back and left side, with both the land and aquatic areas heavily planted.

Questions:
1) If I section off the back left corner with egg crate (cutting the shoreline into two parts around the filter “pocket”) and cover the egg crate with fabric window screen, will the sponge filter still be able to work properly?

2) Is window screen safe to use with newts, or is there a better product available? (I just want something that’s dark enough to conceal the egg crate, but that the water can flow through.)

3) Is it advisable to forego the filter altogether and rely on the plants instead?

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
1.shouldn’t be an issue
2. not that I know of, someone more experienced please answer this one
3.most likely yes, just make sure to test the water and change it frequently to control nitrates even with the plants you will have to get some on your own.

maybe instead of in the land area and worrying about window screen you could put it down in the right back corner. surrounded by, still with the sponge exposed to water of course, a substrate hill and java fern and maybe a crypt to conceal it.

E. Sylvanus

Reaction score
Awesome! I’m sort of trying to find that line between the aesthetics of the display and the ability to maintain the components. I’ve done planted fish tanks before, but always with a HOB or canister, so it’s a bit of a learning process. I certainly appreciate the advice! Thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!