Questions about Sponge Filters

E. Sylvanus

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve been planning a naturalistic display tank for a while, and I have run into the inevitable problem: hiding the sponge filter. This tank is a 29 gallon, and I was thinking of doing a shoreline along the back and left side, with both the land and aquatic areas heavily planted.

Questions:
1) If I section off the back left corner with egg crate (cutting the shoreline into two parts around the filter “pocket”) and cover the egg crate with fabric window screen, will the sponge filter still be able to work properly?

2) Is window screen safe to use with newts, or is there a better product available? (I just want something that’s dark enough to conceal the egg crate, but that the water can flow through.)

3) Is it advisable to forego the filter altogether and rely on the plants instead?

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
Country
United States
1.shouldn’t be an issue
2. not that I know of, someone more experienced please answer this one
3.most likely yes, just make sure to test the water and change it frequently to control nitrates even with the plants you will have to get some on your own.

maybe instead of in the land area and worrying about window screen you could put it down in the right back corner. surrounded by, still with the sponge exposed to water of course, a substrate hill and java fern and maybe a crypt to conceal it.

E. Sylvanus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Awesome! I’m sort of trying to find that line between the aesthetics of the display and the ability to maintain the components. I’ve done planted fish tanks before, but always with a HOB or canister, so it’s a bit of a learning process. I certainly appreciate the advice! Thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • faebugz:
    To raise GH, add calcium carbonate (or tums). What has you doing this?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Thank you! My tap water is naturally low in GH and KH, and I need to raise it... but I don't want to raise the pH, which is perfect, with coral.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EaglesFan78:
    anyone have firebelly newts forsale message me !!!!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • ShawnJPN:
    Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Hey all I’m looking for some help.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    How do I create a thread?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    LYes? It might be easier if u posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Yes, how can I do this? Is it by creating a room? Thank you for your help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey guys, I suppose this is a foolish question, but will my long-toed salamanders over-eat resulting in obesity?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    what are thoughts on using crushed coral or tufa rocks for resining the ph level in my tank? I have the seachem ph alert and it’s reading 5.4
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    meowzilla has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Delaney:
    Hi, I really need some advice about cloudy water in my axlotl tank!
    +2
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as substrate getting kicked up, water hardness, etc. if you don’t have hard water and it doesn’t settle then I’d do a water change and see if that helps.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Caramello:
    Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... I have seperate him and moved him to his own enclosure so he can get better hopefully but I don't have a filter in this specific enclosure. Please can you guys advise if I need to get him one or whether I can leave it? I have read a lot of articles that say they prefer still water and I can change his water frequently keeping it clean. Please advise 😊
    +1
    Unlike
    Caramello: Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... +1