Questions about Sponge Filters

E. Sylvanus

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve been planning a naturalistic display tank for a while, and I have run into the inevitable problem: hiding the sponge filter. This tank is a 29 gallon, and I was thinking of doing a shoreline along the back and left side, with both the land and aquatic areas heavily planted.

Questions:
1) If I section off the back left corner with egg crate (cutting the shoreline into two parts around the filter “pocket”) and cover the egg crate with fabric window screen, will the sponge filter still be able to work properly?

2) Is window screen safe to use with newts, or is there a better product available? (I just want something that’s dark enough to conceal the egg crate, but that the water can flow through.)

3) Is it advisable to forego the filter altogether and rely on the plants instead?

1.shouldn’t be an issue
2. not that I know of, someone more experienced please answer this one
3.most likely yes, just make sure to test the water and change it frequently to control nitrates even with the plants you will have to get some on your own.

maybe instead of in the land area and worrying about window screen you could put it down in the right back corner. surrounded by, still with the sponge exposed to water of course, a substrate hill and java fern and maybe a crypt to conceal it.

Awesome! I’m sort of trying to find that line between the aesthetics of the display and the ability to maintain the components. I’ve done planted fish tanks before, but always with a HOB or canister, so it’s a bit of a learning process. I certainly appreciate the advice! Thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back